Esteemed Contributor

Gov. Roy Cooper announced Wednesday that face masks will be required for anyone in a public space whether inside or outdoors. He also said masks will be required for all employees and customers of retail businesses and restaurants. The order goes into effect Friday at 5 p.m. and expires July 17 at 5 p.m.

Exceptions to the mandate

Cooper gave expectations to the face mask rule, which include:

children 10 years old and younger
people who are actively eating or drinking
people doing strenuous exercise
communication with hearing impaired in which mouth visibility is required
giving a speech or broadcast to an audience
working at home
driving/riding in personal vehicle
if mask impedes visibility to operate equipment or vehicle

Under the mandate, Copper's office said certain businesses must have employees and customers wear face coverings, including but not limited to: retail businesses, restaurants, personal care and grooming.

Who can enforce the mandate?

local law enforcement have the power to criminally enforce the order (GPD gave us some details on that in the email Cami sent earlier today)

if someone (worker or customer) enters a business (or any place) and refuses to wear a mask, law enforcement can enforce trespassing laws

Cooper also announced North Carolina will remain in the Safer at Home Phase 2 for three more weeks.

Excerpt from:  wfmynews2.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/face-coverings-required-in-public-north-carolina-stays-in-phase-2/83-52960a3b-4cbe-48ee-8b72-62293b70dea2

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I live in NV, our Gov just did the same thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish my governor would do this. Our numbers are increasing at an alarming rate. 

Esteemed Contributor

I especially like that restaurants and other businesses will require employees to wear masks.    

Respected Contributor

Our governor will not mandate masks but finally conceded that local jurisdictions can make their own rules after pressure from physicians, mayors, citizens. The two counties containing Phoenix and Tucson quickly passed mandatory mask guidelines, although I don’t believe enforcement is particularly strong. 

Trusted Contributor

Washington State, also. 

Not uniformly  popular, by any means. 

Honored Contributor

Good common sense as virus numbers rise.

Valued Contributor

NYS has had the mask protocol for a while now. I believe it's if you're unable to maintain a safe social distance wear a mask.  It's not my favorite thing to do, but have been doing it.  If it gets to be too much I simply finish up by business andleave the store and take it off. 

In stores I'd say 99.9% of the patrons/customers do adhere.  The governor did say that a business can refuse someone into their store if not wearing a mask. 

My area is currently into phase 3 of reopening.  Phase 4 is another story, they keep making new phases in phase 4 ... for example, no malls can open or movie theatres or gyms.  They were originally in the phase 4 reopening, but just yesterday they said oh ... there's phases in the phase 4 reopening.  

In the meantime, we wear our masks and practice social distancing.

Helen852
Honored Contributor

my states......maryland and delaware......are still in phase two.

we have to wear masks when we go into retail establishments, restaurant servers and staff must wear masks, masks are required on public transportation, masks are required in delaware on the boardwalk, restaurants and bars are not at full capacity.....some public areas are still off limits. we are definitely not rushing through this as some states have and they now have to move backwards.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We have mandatory masks here in California.  I honor the regulation for myself, my family and people I don't know.   Sort of makes me angry about people in other states making such a fuss, going to city hall meetings and demanding  that it not be mandatory. That it is their right.  Making people sick is not a right.   I want to get on with my life.  My granddaughter has a wedding most likely will be made to cancel or postpone...  people have no right to decide they won't wear masks, imo.  They have no right when  it concerns the health of others.  Who do they think they are.. jeopardizing the health and safety of others for their own pleasure and stubbornness.  Wear the darn mask, social distance,  wash your darn hands... and stay home if you don't like it.  Stay home if you feel masks are uncomfortable. .   Sometimes I think people do it to show where they aligned in political matters, or just to be contrary .  Well, when it comes to the heath of others it is no political matter.  One lady said, she doesn't wear a mask, it is her right.  Then she said she never gets sick and takes care because she doesn't have insurance.   Omg, so if she gets sick, goes to hospital , the state is going to pay for it.?

gotta rant today, thank you   

I heard a good one today

IF YOU DON'T LIKE WEARING A MASK, YOU SURE AS HECK WON'T LIKE WEARING A VENTALATOR!