Honored Contributor

Did all these "mandatory" governors pass laws?  Executive orders are not laws.....

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Did all these "mandatory" governors pass laws?  Executive orders are not laws.....

@CelticCrafter,  I can't address your question in regard to other states but in NC an executive order such as this issued under a state of public emergency has the power of law.  It can, however, be overruled by the state legislature, subject to veto then veto override.  We have been in a state of public emergency for several months now.

There have been a attempts at the legislative level to override some provisions of the previous order, which is included by reference in the current order, but so far the bills have gone nowhere.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter,  I can't address your question in regard to other states but in NC an executive order such as this issued under a state of public emergency has the power of law.  It can, however, be overruled by the state legislature, subject to veto then veto override.  We have been in a state of public emergency for several months now.

There have been a attempts at the legislative level to override some provisions of the previous order, which is included by reference in the current order, but so far the bills have gone nowhere.

In most States the State of Emergency orders were lifted when stay at home orders expired.  Goes to show how every state has different ways of addressing problems.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

In most States the State of Emergency orders were lifted when stay at home orders expired.  Goes to show how every state has different ways of addressing problems.

Which IMO has created chaos on so many levels. And it's not just between the federal and state but also between state, counties, and cities.

This historic crisis needs a firm hand. Patchwork is not cutting it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mandatory Masks in NC

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Which IMO has created chaos on so many levels. And it's not just between the federal and state but also between state, counties, and cities.

Your opinion, I believe that the States should have the ability to determine what is best for their citizens.  Not that I agree with some of those decisions, but State/county/city officials are accountable to thier citizens.  What works for one place will not for others. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I believe that would be a "dictator"....can hear it now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I believe that would be a "dictator"....can hear it now.

Supreme Ruler sounds better.

Honored Contributor

Upstate NY has been wearing masks since March.  Going into any store you need a mask on.  When going into restaurants you have to wear it walking in and can take it off once seated.  It makes sense to wear masks it seems to be working in NY as our numbers have dropped dramatically.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

To all those who argue about the benefits of wearing a mask, would you allow your surgeon and OR team not to wear masks or gloves during surgery if they found it uncomfortable for a 4 hour operation? How about a 6hr or 12 hr surgery? After all, they don't do anything and are really uncomfortable.

@reiki604 

Wasn't aware I had a choice. Every surgery I have had, which is many, they were done in a closed room. 

Less I am mistaken, I believe those are a bit more enforceable, than say me minding my own business walking our dog.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Good luck enforcing

We can't even control people in the streets from destroying things yet all the people not wearing masks are going to get fined. Who's going to give out those tickets? Because police have nothing else to do but follow non mask wearers around. I'm all for masks but trying to enforce everyone wearing one is pipe dream. Some people seem to forget we have prisons full of people who don't follow rules. 

@Lali1 

I agree, but unfortunately in many states, those calling the shots are ordering laws not to be enforced. Anyone that follows the news knows that, or is choosing  to ignore its reality.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)