Esteemed Contributor

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

How well do you know these people? Are they this way all the time?

@cherry A recent acquaintance, just getting to know them.

@Snowhite714, if you received the invitation I would say you are now past getting to know them.  They showed you who they are so now you have decide if they are people you want to get to know better or keep your distance from.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Snowhite714   It’s funny you mention that because I just received an invitation to a 65th birthday party. It’s quite a shindig in a catering hall with a DJ, bar & buffet.The bar will be open for the first hour & then it will turn into a cash bar for the remaining 3 hours.

The invitation asks for cash gifts only!! It goes on to suggest that an individual gift $60 & a couple gift $120!!

My son chuckled & said we should go & not give anything. Lol!! DH & I think this is very tacky.We won’t be going.I just got a text from a friend who told me she isn’t going either.

I think it’s rude to invite people to a party & expect them to pay for their own drinks & then ask for cash gifts. If you can’t afford the party then pare it down or don’t have it,period.

Coincidentally,my son & I are planning a surprise birthday party for DH this Summer.I just ordered the invitations.It says”No gifts please.Your friendship & attendance is “Al’s” gift”.

HeartWoman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I would never throw a birthday party for myself.  So, gifts would never be an issue.  Both are a bit tacky, IMO.  

Super Contributor

I don’t think it’s right to make gifts mandatory. You are celebrating the birthday because you want to; guests are invited to grace your party and give you the warmest wishes. If anyone wants to gift you, he/she will bring. You need not to make it a compulsion.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know anyone who would send me an invitation to her party and demand a gift.  If I did receive one like that I would know it was sent to the wrong address and return it to the sender.  It takes all kinds. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Re: Mandatory Gift???

[ Edited ]

Personally I think it not only obnoxious, but narcissistic! Does the invitation say attendance mandatory, if not, then why should gifts be mandatory?  If I was to receive an invitation of that nature, I would RSVP decline via a hand written note.

Trusted Contributor

That just has to be a mistake. Who in their right mind would require friends and family to bring a gift. If it is for real, then it would be a big NO GO for me. 

Respected Contributor

The one that wanted cash for his 65th b/d party seems he wants to retire & not saved for it & expects big cash so he can retire. Wow!!! find a cheap manner book & make sure to give it to them. I can understand a teen or college kid asking for that. Just reading the invitation is enough for me not to go because knowing before hand I would not have a good time. I hope most people don't show up, mandatory gifts seems they mean it why just put it on invitation as a joke. I am in that age group if I had a party I would say child toys & give them to the pick an angel off the tree at Christmas. In your 60's and need gifts seems you haven't got your finances in order to retire and don't need to have a party so your friends can support you financially. Seems greedy & selfish friends to send invitations think you may want to rethink your friendship with these people. 

Respected Contributor

Oh let's not forget the cash bar at least after a certain hour then you pay.LOL Where do you find these friends so I know not to go there? 

Honored Contributor

What I don't like is when I get an invite to a function and it forbids me to bringing a gift. Sorry, but when I go to someones home I always, always bring a little something. Always. If they don't like it they can just throw it away. 

"Pure Michigan"