Esteemed Contributor

Re: Make your own hand sanitizer

@Pearlee wrote:
Why wash off the pump part? You wash hands after pumping so any germs on the pump will be washed off when you wash.

@Pearlee,  it is very late for me so maybe I'm just not processing what you wrote properly but I can't follow how you sanitize the pump by washing your hands.  Are you saying that any germs on the pump will transfer to your hands so there are none left on the pump thereby negating having to wash the pump?

When I'm using a pump the hand I use to push the pump has germs which transfer to the pump and stay there until the pump is cleaned.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

This article (and several like it) brings up a good points.

The homemade hand sanitizer could be harmful.

Little ones don't need much for it to be toxic

It's very rough on the hands (causing dryness which

creates another entry for germs).

The homemade concoction has a highly flammable

w/ 99% alcohol. Careful where it's stored in home/vehicle/etc.

E2C1868F-DB43-4C22-B7C5-2FED58CF5D80.png

9288C86D-335D-4B86-8FBD-AE7D9AB8396E.jpeg

2133EBFA-5204-4D0C-BA62-03E4AA6C0193.jpeg

Regular Contributor

Love the aloe Vera and alcohol suggestion. Another suggestion is to put a few pumps of antibacterial soap in a spray bottle with water. Followed by a spray of clear water if you can. dry with tissue and dispose of tissue.  Yes . A bit more tedious.......But if hand sanitizer is unavailable need to have some alternatives.  I always carry small spray bottles of hand sanitizer in my purse, car and gym bag.  prefer  over the gel.  I went to restock yesterday and shelves bare of ALL hand sanitizer.  Thus decided to use my soap and water concoction in the car where I can easily use and save my spray hand sanitizer for carrying in my purse. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer....LOL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

Keep up with your snotty attitude and you might get more than a couple of volunteers.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
Why wash off the pump part? You wash hands after pumping so any germs on the pump will be washed off when you wash.

@Pearlee,  it is very late for me so maybe I'm just not processing what you wrote properly but I can't follow how you sanitize the pump by washing your hands.  Are you saying that any germs on the pump will transfer to your hands so there are none left on the pump thereby negating having to wash the pump?

When I'm using a pump the hand I use to push the pump has germs which transfer to the pump and stay there until the pump is cleaned.

@Marp   No, that's not what I meant.  What I'm saying is I do not see the need to wash the pump top because although it has germs on it, I pump and then I wash my hands so the germs are washed off.  I don't wash my hands and then touch the pump.  So the washing of my hands after I pump rids my hands of any germs I acquired when I pumped.

Honored Contributor

I'm wondering, right now, if there is anything such as antibacterial bar soap (?)

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but weren't there several brands years ago?  

Do I recall a gold colored antibacterial bar soap?  

Was it Dial?  ........... 'I don't know'............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

I'm wondering, right now, if there is anything such as antibacterial bar soap (?)

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but weren't there several brands years ago?  

Do I recall a gold colored antibacterial bar soap?  

Was it Dial?  ........... 'I don't know'............

I think you are right.   I seem to remember Dial selling a bar of soap that they called antibacterial.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer...LOLL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

@chrystaltree It seems easy enough with only two ingredients.

=====

Keep in mind @haddon9 that this is a poster who won't even wash her own clothing. She often mentions that it gets sent to a laundry. Your two ingredient recipe is simple and practical. 

@AuntG  My niece sends out her laundry also. It’s not unusual.

When we lived in an apartment I used to send our laundry out to be done rather than have to sit for hours in a laundramat.

ME TOO!  It was so great, clean, fresh, and folded.  lovely...Maybe I'll go back to that. 

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer...LOLL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

@chrystaltree It seems easy enough with only two ingredients.

=====

Keep in mind @haddon9 that this is a poster who won't even wash her own clothing. She often mentions that it gets sent to a laundry. Your two ingredient recipe is simple and practical. 

@AuntG  My niece sends out her laundry also. It’s not unusual.

When we lived in an apartment I used to send our laundry out to be done rather than have to sit for hours in a laundramat.

ME TOO!  It was so great, so clean, fresh, and folded.  lovely...Maybe I'll go back to that 

Honored Contributor

This morning a doctor suggested to mix a couple of teaspoons of bleach to a quart or gallon of water.

Please search the correct amount of bleach to water, though before trying.  

One of the morning news shows.  Possibly NBC, but I'm not sure. 

Or, just maybe she (the doctor) was on Wendy Williams Show, which I accidentally ran across, on another network.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).