Esteemed Contributor

@songbird, we not only have the same problem of late delivery, we also always get someone else's mail and have to deliver it.  It has gotten so bad that my neighbor chases down the mail truck and makes the carrier deliver it after hearing how she does not work for the post office.  Without thinking, I have opened someone else's mail by mistake because I did not check the name on the envelope.

One Saturday evening, we were going out to dinner and the mail had not come.  We saw the truck, sans driver, parked at the beginning of our community.  He apparently stopped in to visit one of our neighbors.  Truck was wide open and anyone could have taken the mail.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady

I didn't know about informed delivery until a couple of months ago when someone posted it here.  This was last year & yes, no ?s asked they just reshipped!  (and then I never used them🙄)

Trusted Contributor

Our mail doesn't come anymore until at least 6 PM.  During the winter, after it's dark and we're all snuggled in the house, it can sit there until my husband leaves for work the next morning.

Nothing worse than getting an aggravating or upsetting piece of mail on a Saturday or at 7 PM, and not being able to do anything about it.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

The last place (condo) I lived, 5, 6, even 7 o'clock pm was the norm.  Where I live now (also a condo), I've seen the mail delivered as early as 10am. 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  No questions; they reshipped and you never used them!! This story becomes more funny as you tell more!!! OMGosh. Priceless. Thanks for the rest of the story. Great way to sign on to the QVC Forums. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mail delivery problems

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

All sorts of mail problems

1.  Late delivery

2.  Getting neighbors mail

3.  Missing mail

4.  Mail sent back to originator

5.  Mail delivered and left in odd places

6.  Mail delivered a few street up the block and around the corner

Tired of making this list getting late... but I could go on and on and on.  And if I wanted to write my neighbor a letter it would be sent to distribution center 65 miles away and then sent back to our post office to be delivered.  

Not what it used to be.

@bonnielu  We don't have the first six problems enough to warrant complaints in our neighborhood. Cannot comment on any other areas of our City.

However, your next paragraph makes me think you live in Lincoln and your mail is sent to Omaha for postmarking. Ours is. It's takes an extra day for that nonsense. Cannot understand why USPS decided to remove that step from our main PO in downtown Lincoln. Makes no sense to anyone in our City!

Great comments. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady  We are in Maryland (western part)  We are rural with easy access to the city areas.  Washington DC 46 miles south of us.  Baltimore Md 45 miles east of us.  All our mail goes to Baltimore first (distribution center) But that is not where the fun starts.  

Our mail carriers take vacations and when they do they leave the delivery to people who are not doing a careful job.  My mail box was so stuffed yesterday that I have to replace for the 3rd time the flag. Getting old.  My house is up the driveway, only 65 feet away from the road.  Flat, well paved, easy access, nice porch area.  Had it been a box it would have been placed at my front door.  These packages wrapped in bags are fair game for mail people to just try to stuff and stuff until  it totally kinda fits. Who cares if the  flag gets torn off its hinges and the box explodes.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu  It all sounds so familiar. Guess life could be a lot worse. I'm still a big supporter of USPS and want them to stay in business. Smiley Happy

Yep! I'm on the second flag in about 12 years with this current mailbox. I probably need to replace it since it doesn't always stay upright. Like yours, it's an extra large mailbox and located at the end of my driveway. At least it hasn't been a victim of any vehicles sliding on ice like the previous mailboxes! I simply spray paint it regularly to keep it pretty and sand any rough/weathered spots on the wooden post. (The sun does fade the black.) 

My neighbor (85) has spray-painted a close-pin bright red and simply clips it to the front of their mail box when he has out-going mail. It works!

I'm going to find a handyman who will replace flags for both mailboxes as a nice gesture for my neighbors before the cold weather hits.

Esteemed Contributor

Never was ever like this before.  Good idea... Red clip.  Might have to go to that.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Mail delivery problems

[ Edited ]

I live in a major city and thought it was just us.  Wow, where do I begin?  Mail is often late and sometimes very late in the day towards evening; getting neighbors' mail mixed in with mine (this is driving me crazy since it is CONSTANTLY HAPPENING; mail just being thrown and I mean THROWN in the doorway all over the place.  Packages left hanging out the door.  I work during the day, however, on days off or on Saturdays I've noticed the same female carrier.  She walks around with headphones on either talking on the phone or listening to music.  It's become a problem in our neighborhood and people are fed up.  I've wrapped the mail that doesn't belong to me very nicely with a nice handwritten note to please deliver this to the proper houses.  It's still laying in my doorway for the past few days and still hasn't taken it.