Esteemed Contributor

Before destroying or withholding mail addressed to someone other than yourself please check 18 U.S.C. 83, particularly sections 1702, 1703 and 1705.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2009-title18/html/USCODE-2009-title18-partI-chap83.htm

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor
Keeping something that you did not order is stealing imo.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Before destroying or withholding mail addressed to someone other than yourself please check 18 U.S.C. 83, particularly sections 1702, 1703 and 1705.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2009-title18/html/USCODE-2009-title18-partI-chap83.htm

If someone else has fraudulently used my address of 23  years....let them try and prosecute me for throwing out their mail.  I would hope our government has better things to do with their time and the taxpayer's money.  

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@Marp wrote:

If someone else has fraudulently used my address of 23  years....let them try and prosecute me for throwing out their mail.  I would hope our government has better things to do with their time and the taxpayer's money.  

Agree.  Who's going to  file charges?  A nonexistent person who supposedly lives at your address? 

I would look at the situation the other way around if I were suspicious.  Different name from those who live at your address could mean that you are using someone else identity but listing your address.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mail Situation

[ Edited ]

@SundayMonday wrote:

I didn't keep the shoes either.  I hope you aren't acusing me of trying to steal them.  I knew enough about the rules of the po to know what the outcome would be.  The shoe situation was solved within a week.  The bigger problem was solved within about 2 weeks, when the postmaster went to the apt complex and told the office mgr about THEIR screwup.

I didn't accuse you of anything. I would not have kept the shoes, and waited for an outcome (or even opened the box.). How if an outcome never came? I would just return them back to sender. (even if it happened many times) 

*This situation for me applies when the name is not mine, but has my address. (mail/packages) 

Respected Contributor

I bought my house 8 years ago, about a year after my mother died..My mother and I never shared an address..well not since high school!

Suddenly, about 3 years ago, I began receiving mail for my deceased mom, at MY address.....

weird how how long people must remain on mailing lists....

Honored Contributor

For a solid YEAR.........I was getting mail, furniture and appliance deliveries, someone "inspecting" my roof, etc.   Even Google listed a second person with a different name at MY address.  This person was living  at 0000 WEST Easy Street.      I am at the same number on EAST Easy Street.     Finally, it stopped.   I assume the owner realized he made a mistake when giving out his address.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

I have been through this same situation.  BEST solution:  Go to the USPS Website and send an email to the Postmaster.  State your complaint and insist that they contact you to resolve the problem.  I got FAST results, I was contacted by the USPS via email within the week!  I was called to insure the situation was resolved and even later to make sure it hadn't reoccurred. 

I wasted weeks/months trying to correct the problem locally and nothing was done.  I was inundated with mail, magazines and junk for someone who never lived here..UGH! 

Go to the top and get it fixed!

cheers...swoods