Contributor

I agree, throw it away and quit worrying about it.  We had a whole apartment complex start using my address by mistake last year.  I complained , wrote letters and hand delivered the mail for 6 months.  I finally did just that,  I started throwing the whole mess away.  Finally a girl that lived there and had ordered a pair of pretty pink tennis shoes (yes they were delivered to me , I opened them and kept them , just to wait and see the outcome) solved it all.  One evening our postmaster showed up at my door wanting to talk about pink tennis shoes.  I went and got them, gave them to him and told him this had been going on for 6 months.  He about choked when I told him I had been throwing the mail away,, totally forgetting that I had talked to him about the problem 6 mo before.  I used to work at the post office and I knew that anything that has your ADDRESS on it and is delivered to you is yours.  You have no obligation to track down someone else or if a bookclub is sending you free books, or samples etc.  you are under no obligation to "return to sender" or anything else.  The post office delivers to the address, not the person, for regular mail.  Hope this helps

Honored Contributor

Junk mail NEVER gets returned to the sender. A postal supervisor told me this years ago. It's too expensive which I completely agree with.

Respected Contributor

@SundayMonday

Thanks for the info, I'm surprised. 

Honored Contributor

@SundayMonday wrote:

I agree, throw it away and quit worrying about it.  We had a whole apartment complex start using my address by mistake last year.  I complained , wrote letters and hand delivered the mail for 6 months.  I finally did just that,  I started throwing the whole mess away.  Finally a girl that lived there and had ordered a pair of pretty pink tennis shoes (yes they were delivered to me , I opened them and kept them , just to wait and see the outcome) solved it all.  One evening our postmaster showed up at my door wanting to talk about pink tennis shoes.  I went and got them, gave them to him and told him this had been going on for 6 months.  He about choked when I told him I had been throwing the mail away,, totally forgetting that I had talked to him about the problem 6 mo before.  I used to work at the post office and I knew that anything that has your ADDRESS on it and is delivered to you is yours.  You have no obligation to track down someone else or if a bookclub is sending you free books, or samples etc.  you are under no obligation to "return to sender" or anything else.  The post office delivers to the address, not the person, for regular mail.  Hope this helps

Are you saying your name and address is on the mail, but the item (shoes) are not yours? If it's someone else's name and your address you have have return to the sender? 

Respected Contributor

@kdgnI agree. We had our identity stolen years ago and the first thing they did was change our address on our credit cards. Then they tried to open new cards in our name with the bills going to the new address. If everything looks OK for your credit report, maybe talk to someone at the credit bureau to see if they have an alert for the name of the unknown addressees. You mention that you've lived at your house for 36 years. Do you "snowbird" somewhere else for part of the year (so someone's sending mail to your address because they think you're at your other address)? Hopefully, it's just a SNAFU and not identity theft. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I can relate.  I also get mail, usually junk of some type, for a person who is listed at my address.  We've lived here for 24 years.  I throw it away. 

Honored Contributor

Have you Google'd that person to see what comes up as his address?   

Contributor

Re: Mail Situation

[ Edited ]

Are you saying your name and address is on the mail, but the item (shoes) are not yours? If it's someone else's name and your address you have have return to the sender

My name was NOT on the package, but my address was.  Thus the shoes got delivered to the correct ADDRESS, but not the correct person.  I kept them because I knew they were expensive and someone, (the vendor, the buyer or the post office) would do a followup.  If I had thrown them away, I would have been within my rights.  Someone, probably the vendor or her credit card would have reimbursed her.  You would be sooooo surprised at what gets thrown away at the post office.  Or I could have worn them and nobody could say anything.  I am sorry to burst your bubble about the rules of the po, but they actually have an auction site that they auction off the more expensive stuff that is undeliverable. 

And as a couple of other people have pointed out it is not the publics job to deliver the mail.  The real culprit in my situation is the apt. office manager who gave the wrong address to 50 apts.  And I talked to them twice in person before I started throwing things away. 

I certainly did my part, talked to the apt people twice and the postmaster once.   Neither cared enough to do anything about a big mistake.   And no, I did NOT have to return them to the sender.

Honored Contributor

@SundayMonday wrote:

Are you saying your name and address is on the mail, but the item (shoes) are not yours? If it's someone else's name and your address you have have return to the sender

My name was NOT on the package, but my address was.  Thus the shoes got delivered to the correct ADDRESS, but not the correct person.  I kept them because I knew they were expensive and someone, (the vendor, the buyer or the post office) would do a followup.  If I had thrown them away, I would have been within my rights.  Someone, probably the vendor or her credit card would have reimbursed her.  You would be sooooo surprised at what gets thrown away at the post office.  Or I could have worn them and nobody could say anything.  I am sorry to burst your bubble about the rules of the po, but they actually have an auction site that they auction off the more expensive stuff that is undeliverable.  And as a couple of other people have pointed out it is not the publics job to deliver the mail.  The real culprit in my situation is the apt. office manager who gave the wrong address to 50 apts.  And I talked to them twice in person before I started throwing things away.  I certainly did my part, talked to the apt people twice and the postmaster once.   Neither cared enough to do anything about a big mistake.   And no, I did NOT have to return them to the sender.

I return all mail etc to the sender/put wrong address on it  (give it to mailperson). Junk mail, I toss. (when it's someone else's name and my address)

I couldn't have kept the shoes.

Contributor

Re: Mail Situation

[ Edited ]

I didn't keep the shoes either.  I hope you aren't acusing me of trying to steal them.  I knew enough about the rules of the po to know what the outcome would be.  The shoe situation was solved within a week.  The bigger problem was solved within about 2 weeks, when the postmaster went to the apt complex and told the office mgr about THEIR screwup.