Super Contributor

Has anyone used a maid service that would like to share their experience? I am interested in hiring a maid service for my 85-year-old father he has lots of problems getting around multiple health issues so I would like someone to come out and help with vacuuming,dusting, bathroom,  kitchen cleaning, that sort of thing. If you used a service were you satisfied with them? Any tips, I really dont know anyone to ask for references, just been reading reviews.I'm wondering if I should use a chain or just a small local business, how prices compare, do you sign contracts- really any information/ suggestions you might have. TIA

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine Years ago when my late DH was very ill, I hired a company (this was in Southern Calif.) called Merry Maids.

They did only the things I requested and did a fabulous job. I had framed pieces of cross stitch on the wall and said specifically "do not touch or dust them."  They didn't. We were both home at the time.

I used them 3 times and requested the same team each time. We tipped them generously as they did chores I was just too exhausted to take care of.

I was more than pleased with them.

I would suggest you go on nextdoor . com (it's easy to join) and post there for references too. Our local ND and local only FB sites are a wealth of good advice.

Respected Contributor

Re: Maid Service

[ Edited ]

We've had cleaning ladies for years. I suggest asking neighbors who they use and recommend. I also suggest taking anything with any value out of the house until you trust them. (My ladies do multiple families in my neighborhood and are trustworthy- they'd lose all their clients).

You should tell them upfront what you expect from them and ask if they charge by the job or by the hour and if they bring their own supplies 

asking on Nextdoor Neighbor app is a great idea too

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine  You have already received excellent responses.  The only thing I would add is that which ever firm you hire, make sure they are BONDED.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids  I've used Merry Maids for about 15 yrs.  Excellent!!!!!  I had the same 3 person crew for all those years-mother, daughter & a cousin.  Then about 3 yrs ago, they started their own cleaning business.  I was one of their first customers who jumped ship.

Now just the daughter & the cousin clean my apt.  Mom & hubby run the business which they say is booming as they mostley clean "retail" businesses now.  The only house cleaning they do now are the ones who "jumped ship" & the clients they recommended. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Do your homework before you make your choice!   I do not have a personal experience with a cleaning service in my home.  However, I have a cousin who has a local cleaning service, and have never recommended her business when asked.  

My husband had a horrible experience with a home health nurse.  This assistance was set up for us thru the VA, and was an agency they had used for years; not our choice.   The regular group of nurses were awesome, but then one day a new nurse walks in that is clearly under the influence of drugs.   The nurse was ordered to leave our property, and the proverbial **** hit the fan at full speed at that point.   Believe it or not, that agency was not drug testing new hires, or doing random testing of their employees, but they do now!   

I would be extremely cautious with hiring people you don't know to clean your dads home.   

Honored Contributor

We've never had good luck with a company. I think the best way to find someone who not only does an excellent job but is also reliable and and trustworthy.

You can find personal recs on Nextdoor. com, as others have mentioned. It easy to sign up.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I hired Merry Maids and it was the worst experience I had, I was selling my mom's house and thought it would alleviate my stress load to just hire someone and "give me a hand".  Turn your back and those gals were on their phone and not working, the quality of cleaning in a bathroom was very poor, remember what's clean to you may not be the same as your expectations.

Another time my grandmother had "this lady" come over and help with cleaning and washing floors etc.  Needless to say, her antiques disappeared one by one, my grandmother literally sat on her money so that didn't disappear but other "things" did.

Also not a good idea to have a stranger in the same house as your single dad, yes, I know he's 85 but in this world, there's a lot of people who can make claims and you open yourself to some ridiculous lawsuit.

Are you sure you can't perform those duties, I made the time and now that my mom is gone, I wouldn't of changed a thing.  I would scrub every nook and crannie just to have her back again.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maid Service

[ Edited ]

@Summer Shine wrote:

Has anyone used a maid service that would like to share their experience? I am interested in hiring a maid service for my 85-year-old father he has lots of problems getting around multiple health issues so I would like someone to come out and help with vacuuming,dusting, bathroom,  kitchen cleaning, that sort of thing. If you used a service were you satisfied with them? Any tips, I really dont know anyone to ask for references, just been reading reviews.I'm wondering if I should use a chain or just a small local business, how prices compare, do you sign contracts- really any information/ suggestions you might have. TIA

The best place to find a maid - or any other service - is on nextdoor dot com. People live within a few miles from u - and you'll get several recommendaitons "from neighbors." I've found quite a few referrals from this site - and they were all good. Also, don't leave valuables in his home - jewelry, money, checkbook, expensive things - or things that are meaningful. I think it's a good idea to have cameras - inside and outside. We have to be safe.

Esteemed Contributor

When the kids were at home, I had them come every week, but cut back to biweekly later.

I always used a licensed, bonded service so I didn't have to keep rehiring.

You need to agree about exactly you want done.  Sheets, garbage, ovens.....

Never had any losses.