Honored Contributor

Re: Magic candy!

[ Edited ]

I keep a bottle of ginger pills at home for nausea.  I am a boater and I know that is what a lot of people use for motion sickness too.

I'm personally not a fan of the taste of ginger so I detest ginger ale and I never use ginger to cook with. 

A co-worker turned me on to the ginger capsules when I was nauseaus at work for awhile.  What a relief.

Super Contributor

That is great and good to know.

Honored Contributor

LipstickDiva wrote:

I keep a bottle of ginger pills at home for nausea.  I am a boater and I know that is what a lot of people use for motion sickness too.

I'm personally not a fan of the taste of ginger so I detest ginger ale and I never use ginger to cook with. 

A co-worker turned me on to the ginger capsules when I was nauseaus at work for awhile.  What a relief.

This is good to know.  I have pretty frequent nausea and I just ride it through but when it lasts a few hours it gets tedious.  I should get something like this.  It would probably be more effective than drinking a can of diet ginger ale.   Thanks! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

snip

Vernors Ginger Ale is famous for its very carbonated, very sweet flavor. It is also used by some to cure hangovers and sore throats. This soda was invented in 1866 by James Vernor, a pharmacist practicing in Detroit. He was trying to create a drink that calmed upset stomachs. After experimenting with a vanilla and ginger concoction, he placed the mixture in an oak cask and went off to fight in the Civil War in 1862. Upon returning four years later, he discovered the fermented mixture had taken on the added flavor of aging oak. For years he only served it at the soda fountain located in his pharmacy. As demand grew, he sold the drink to other soda fountains and soon opened up a bottling company. His son, James Vernor, took over upon his father's death. The family eventually sold the drink in 1966 to an investment group, which in turn sold the beverage to American Consumer Products. It was sold to A&W Beverages and later to Dr Pepper Snapple Group, the current owner.

@cherry

Does it still have the same content of real ginger that it had in the beginning?

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@cherry wrote:

snip

Vernors Ginger Ale is famous for its very carbonated, very sweet flavor. It is also used by some to cure hangovers and sore throats. This soda was invented in 1866 by James Vernor, a pharmacist practicing in Detroit. He was trying to create a drink that calmed upset stomachs. After experimenting with a vanilla and ginger concoction, he placed the mixture in an oak cask and went off to fight in the Civil War in 1862. Upon returning four years later, he discovered the fermented mixture had taken on the added flavor of aging oak. For years he only served it at the soda fountain located in his pharmacy. As demand grew, he sold the drink to other soda fountains and soon opened up a bottling company. His son, James Vernor, took over upon his father's death. The family eventually sold the drink in 1966 to an investment group, which in turn sold the beverage to American Consumer Products. It was sold to A&W Beverages and later to Dr Pepper Snapple Group, the current owner.

@cherry

Does it still have the same content of real ginger that it had in the beginning?

I started googling this earlier, and no amount is listed - for Vernor's or any other ginger ale. I would tend to doubt it, if only because with the most recent sale they are part of a huge conglomerate that would try to do everything as cheaply as possible. I have no doubt they tinkered with the recipe. I only drink the Diet version now, and it doesn't taste exactly the same as what I remember from childhood, but I wasn't drinking Diet then. It still has a stronger taste than any other ginger ale (much more than Canada Dry) and a good vanilla taste. When I was little, the doctor told my mom to let it go flat before drinking it if the carbonation irritated a sore throat, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I grow ginger, slice it VERY thin, and dry it with a tiny bit of honey.  It freezes well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras