Respected Contributor

Magazine with Perfume Samples!

[ Edited ]

I received a magazine in the mail free to try and get me to re-subscribe. The thing had 6 different perfume samples in it!  It was hard to even read the magazine due to my allergies! Would be better to not add them to magazines, but guess they dont care about

those with allergies etc.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I find it annoying, too.  The minute I receive, or purchase a magazine, I pull out all  samples and advertisements I'm not interested in.  They go straight in the trash.

Respected Contributor

Re: Magazine with Perfume

[ Edited ]

That is just what I do too and did with this one. Even then the scent still left in the magazine was strong cuz there had been 6 in there lol ! Felt like I needed to wear a mask to read it lol.

Honored Contributor

The only thing we get with perfume samples in it is the circular from Ulta. 

It's not even allowed in the house, it goes right into the outside recycling bin.

Valued Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Yes, I find it annoying, too.  The minute I receive, or purchase a magazine, I pull out all  samples and advertisements I'm not interested in.  They go straight in the trash.

I also send mine straight to the trash. If I'm not mistaken I think I read a while back that you can ask them to omit the scented ads. I don't know how they can do it with the volume involved. It's no wonder magazine subscriptions are down - that and the pharmaceutical ads.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority. I LOVE fragrance samples in my magazines, although just about the only magazine I subscribe to that has them is Vanity Fair. I've purchased several perfumes from those little samples!

I'm sorry for those of you that have perfume allergies. I have allergies but thankfully, only to ragweed and cats, and I doubt if they'd be enclosed with perfume samples Smiley Happy

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I don't subscribe to any magazines, but when I did, I always njoyed the perfume samples.  I'd even tear them out to add to my unmentionables drawer or sweater drawer.  It's a good way to get an idea of a new scent. 

I realize quite a number of people are sensitive to the fragrances.  The magazine strips never bothered me, but if a perfume is too sweet or heavy, I get sick. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I've felt that they were not a particularly good resemblance to the perfume itself. In fact, all those sticky flaps that you open to sniff smell similar to me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

Re: Magazine with Perfume

[ Edited ]

I'm with @sunala and @jellyBEAN I love those scented pages in magazines.  I don't get magazines anymore and that's one of the things I miss about not getting them.  I couldn't always tell if I would love a perfume on my skin just going by the scented pages but it was a starting point when I would go "scenting" in stores.  But I love perfume and fragrance.  I feel bad for those who don't or can't though.

Honored Contributor

'First of all', they could enclose the samples in clear plastic.

Don't get me started...........M*cy's circulars often contain various fragrance samples which, when combined, smell like old fashioned fly spray.  

So, into the trash container to repel critters (racoons, skunks, etc.).  It works.  They do keep away.

One fragrance per magazine/circular wouldn't be too-too bad, but a few fragrances in a magazine is a bit too much, especially when each fragrance is 'ruined' when combined with others.  Imo.

'And, to make things even worse', so to speak, they sometimes also contain men's fragrances............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).