Honored Contributor

Macy’s Has Changed Their Return Policy

I do most of my shopping at Macy’s, on their website. This morning when checking my Order History, l noticed that all of the items that had previously specified “return within 180 days” have been changed to “90 days.” Some items, such as Last Act, have remained the same, at 30 days.

I imagine that the 180 day return policy was costing them money, as people could return winter items in the middle of the summer, and vice-versa.

This was done without any notification, as far as l know. I wanted all of you Macy’s shoppers to be aware of this!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

Re: Macy’s Has Changed Their Return Policy

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure where you live, but here in the suburbs of Chicago, Macys is closing in February. Maybe that's why the return policy has changed. I believe they are closing a lot of stores. 

Honored Contributor

@curlygirl13 : I live on Long Island. They’re closing 2 Macy’s stores here next month. Luckily, these are not the ones that l frequent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel that 90 days is more than fair. I can't imagine keeping something almost 6 months and then deciding to return it.  I'd be fine with a 30 day return also.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Macy’s is closing their stores here one by one...they were all anchor stores in malls that are being torn down. There is one free standing store about twenty miles from here built about ten years ago....am interested to see if it survives since the parking lot is usually empty when we have driven by.
Esteemed Contributor

Last year while waiting to pick up my online order in store at Macy's, a woman ahead of me was returning several DOZEN clothing items, including children's which someone had no doubt outgrown. According to the SA, a couple of the children's items were even past the 180 days! I have never seen someone return so many items at once- at least 40 or more as I recall. Needless to say, it took forever and I had to wait to retrieve my one item.

90 days to return is more than generous. I get overwhelmed shopping in store at Macy's, but they do have good sales so I like to order online now and then. I do wish there was a B&M store closer to me for when I have returns.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2  I also do most of my Macy's shopping online even though I'm within a 10 minute walk of their store on State Street.  Free shipping, lower sales tax, and can easily return to store.  IMO 30 days for any store is a generous amount of time to return items.  I can't ever remember returning something I bought at Macy's but I know the brands that work for me.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Last year while waiting to pick up my online order in store at Macy's, a woman ahead of me was returning several DOZEN clothing items, including children's which someone had no doubt outgrown. According to the SA, a couple of the children's items were even past the 180 days! I have never seen someone return so many items at once- at least 40 or more as I recall. Needless to say, it took forever and I had to wait to retrieve my one item.

90 days to return is more than generous. I get overwhelmed shopping in store at Macy's, but they do have good sales so I like to order online now and then. I do wish there was a B&M store closer to me for when I have returns.

@queendiva : That’s bad timing to be stuck behind that woman! One time, the person in front of me had probably 20 boxes of shoes to return. My theory is that she bought them on sale, then held them for almost 6 months, trying to sell them on eBay. When they didn’t sell, she returned them right before the 180 day deadline.

The store should have two separate lines: one for returns, and the other for order pick-ups. Unfortunately, some don’t want to pay an extra person to work that separate line. Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 ,Are  you on the west coast?

We may shop at the same store. Was in there a week ago. I couldn't find anyone to wait on me. had to get a clerk from the kitchen section to go to linens to find something for me. It was crazy.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny  No, I'm in Chicago and shop at the former Marshall Field's store which is now a Macy's.  I agree with you about sales help which is why I rarely buy in store.  I might go there to try on or check out an item but then I'll order online.  Works for me!