Esteemed Contributor

Re: Macy’s Has Changed Their Return Policy

I wasn't aware of this more than generous return policy. Because of the change in some societal values, I suppose the change was inevitable. You have SOME resellers on Poshmark, Ebay, Etsy etc. that might exploit the ability to return "unwanted" or "defective" items from their inventory for six months. Most resellers are most likely reputable, but some are not. There was a thread here last month, in which someone posted about her friend doing this. Then you have some customers with the same mentality. My SIL managed a large department store years ago, and told me horror stories. 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I have enjoyed shopping at Macy's online.  The sales are significant and have no problems (always within a couple of days of receiving the product) with rare returns.

I can't imagine why someone would require 180 days to return a product.

Respected Contributor

I never heard of any retailer taking things back after 6 months!  That's insane.  Even three months is overly generous.  I bought some stuff at Loft last month and didn't realize I only had 30 days to return it.  Stupid me, now I'm a bit overloaded with clothing I really don't need.  Time just got away from me.

Honored Contributor

I've always thought that 180 day return period is ridiculous.  That is also Kohls return policy but that is still in effect as far as I know.

I don't think JCPenney even has a time limit.  

Honored Contributor

180 days is a long time.  90 days is reasonable. That is 3 months.  It would give you time to get feedback from a gift, or wear, wash an item and have it not hold up.   Good grief here at the q they give you 30 days.  I barely get my items in 2 weeks.  Lol

i think 90 days is fair. 

Esteemed Contributor

@curlygirl13 wrote:

I'm not sure where you live, but here in the suburbs of Chicago, Macys is closing in February. Maybe that's why the return policy has changed. I believe they are closing a lot of stores. 

@curlygirl13   Hi  I usually go to Joliet or Bolingbrook, but haven't been either place in along time

do you know which Macy's?  I can't find a list  Thank You!

Honored Contributor

180 days is more than generous.  I didn't even realize it was that long, but I very rarely shop at Macy's.  

Respected Contributor

No one should need 90 days to return something! This is extremely generous. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey 

The complete list of Macy's store closures can be found on the Business Insider website.

https://www.businessinsider.com/macys-closing-stores-list-locations-2020-1

Macy's is closing 30 stores — here's the full list

Honored Contributor

Kohl's and Bed Bath & Beyond have changed their return policies too.  Both had pretty liberal return policies.

Luckily I hardly need to return anything although I bought a Cuisinart coffee maker @ 7 months it died.  I had receipt went to BB&B told me not exchangeable or returnable after 180 days🤷‍♀️.

So I had to buy another.