Honored Contributor

Mac Davis passed away yesterday, the same day as Helen Reddy. It seems so many famous people we loved or grew up  enjoying are dying, it seems like everyday we hear of someone else. Thank you Mac Davis for all your wonderful songs you left for us to enjoy, may you Rest In Peace.

Esteemed Contributor

I was also a big Mac Davis fan. Loved his voice. My favorite songs were "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me", "I Believe In Music" & "Watching Scotty Grow".

Another great one lost.I can just imagine the concert in heaven going on right now!!

RIP Mac Davis !!💐

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, that is sad about both of those artists.  Grew up with them and yes, it does make one humble.  I remember singing Helen Reddy on our bunk beds with my sister and a brush as a microphone !!  LOL   Nice memories......."I am woman hear me roar"  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Sad to hear about his passing. Always liked him.   Another loss of a great talent.  I saw his show in Las Vegas in 1976 and Joan Rivers was his opening act.  May he rest in peace.

Super Contributor

morris mac davis born january 21 1942 known as mac davis is a country ...

Respected Contributor

I remember Mac Davis and Helen Reddy doing a duet on TV "Baby baby don't get hooked on me".  They explained that he had gotten some feedback that the song was sexist, but Helen did not agree, and to prove it, she sang it with him.

Funny what you remember.  That had to be early 70s.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

"Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_DMacGC3WQ

Honored Contributor

Re: Mac Davis Has Passed

[ Edited ]

Mac Davis performs live

He also wrote a lot of Elvis hits, as well as other artists.

Mac Davis -- best known as a '70s country music sensation and for writing hits for Elvis Presley -- has died following heart surgery ... TMZ has confirmed.

Davis died Tuesday at a hospital in Nashville ... according to his manager, Jim Morey.

Earlier this week, the singer became critically ill after undergoing surgery and sadly was unable to recover. "He was surrounded by the love of his life and wife of 38 years, Lise, and his sons Scott, Noah and Cody," Morey wrote on Facebook.

After news of Mac's health broke, he received an outpouring of love from country stars like Dolly Parton and others asking for prayers and support.

The Texas native got his big break in the late '60s as a songwriter when Elvis recorded his works, "Memories," "Don't Cry Daddy," "In the Ghetto" and "A Little Less Conversation" ... all of which became hits for The King.

Mac also wrote for a handful of other acts -- like Kenny Rogers & the First Edition -- before launching a solo career in the '70s ... kicked off with his Grammy-nominated hit "Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me."

Though the song was a success on both the country and pop charts, Mac made a name for himself as a country singer when he was crowned the Academy of Country Music's Entertainer of the Year in 1974.

His other hits include "Stop and Smell the Roses," "One Hell of a Woman" and the 1980 novelty song, "It's Hard to be Humble."

On top of his music career, Davis also starred on his own TV variety show from 1974-76 and made his big-screen debut in the 1979 football film, "North Dallas Forty," alongside Nick Nolte.

He also hosted an episode of "The Muppet Show" and starred in "The Sting II" in the '80s, and went to appear in numerous TV and film projects over the next 3 decades.

He's been inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Mac is survived by his wife, Lise Gerard, and 3 children.

He was 78.

RIP

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@NicksmomESQ ,  Loved those songs too, but I think "Watching Scotty Grow" was by Bobby Goldsboro.

Honored Contributor

Wow, i just hate seeing this, he seemed such a nice man,and talented, all this dying is really hard to take.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.