Esteemed Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I work for one of the Branches of the Military. 

You would be shocked what goes on.  This is childs play (believe me, not down playing it, but this is one of the milder things that happens).

And even more shocked of what your tax dollars pay for. 

Do tell. I was active duty and do not know what you are talking about.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

I have never "trusted" any boyfriend completly, maybe that is the wrong attitude, maybe it is my upbrining but I would never take these types of pictures and "GIVE" them to anyone.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: MARINE PHOTO SCANDAL

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I have never "trusted" any boyfriend completly, maybe that is the wrong attitude, maybe it is my upbrining but I would never take these types of pictures and "GIVE" them to anyone.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

ITA ......    Once you "give" any type of photos to anyone, they are theirs to do with as they please .....  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I can totally understand, as I'm not a trusting person either.    I have to say that probably 99% of the mistakes I've made in my life were having trusted somebody.

But then I think about people like my husband.  This makes me a little crazy.  He is just overly trusting.   Does he get burned a lot?  Yup!  And he keeps on trusting people.   Unless something really clicks in hard-core, somebody who is very trusting will just keep on trusting people and getting burned.

Obviously, there is a place in the middle.   Sometimes I wish maybe I were just a smidge more trusting but, to be honest, I think being non-trusting serves me better.  People really have to earn my trust.  Short of that, I always have one eye open.  Smiley Happy

We all make mistakes.  Maybe some of these cases were mistakes made.  Clearly some of these women were victims of having their picture taken without their permission.   I don't really think any of them deserve to be treated like this.

Esteemed Contributor

"Clearly some of these women were victims of having their picture taken without their permission.@chickenbutt

I'm not sure about that...at least not the ones that were nude. I've read some of the articles and the closest I've gotten to that conclusion was the "suggestion" that a female's picture was taken when she was fully clothed and bending over.

Yes, that's bad enough, but nowhere have I seen it said that women in any state of undress were photographed without permission.

I won't be able to check back for a while, I'm on my way out, but earlier it was suggested we stick with the facts. That's why I'm asking...does anyone have a link to a story saying nude photos were taken without permission? The story is bad enough without thinking there are Marines out there taking nude photos of women without their consent.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

"Clearly some of these women were victims of having their picture taken without their permission.@chickenbutt

I'm not sure about that...at least not the ones that were nude. I've read some of the articles and the closest I've gotten to that conclusion was the "suggestion" that a female's picture was taken when she was fully clothed and bending over.

Yes, that's bad enough, but nowhere have I seen it said that women in any state of undress were photographed without permission.

I won't be able to check back for a while, I'm on my way out, but earlier it was suggested we stick with the facts. That's why I'm asking...does anyone have a link to a story saying nude photos were taken without permission? The story is bad enough without thinking there are Marines out there taking nude photos of women without their consent.

i posted an article earlier in the thread that does state that women were photographed without permission. here it is again.

"Through the page, users shared nude images of female Marines, veterans and other women, some of which were taken without their knowledge."

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Nude-Images-Marines-Secret-Facebook-Group-Allred-415701413.h...

"The Defense Department is investigating reports that some Marines shared naked photographs of female Marines, veterans and other women on a secret Facebook page, some of which were taken without their knowledge."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/marines-investigated-sharing-nude-photos-45927798

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

On the CNN cite I posted, there is a video where it says that - while there were statements that some pictures were taken without the women's knowledge, all the photos he saw were posed.

So I don't know if it is conclusive yet that naked photos were taken without the women's knowledge.

If someone has a citation for this, that would be helpful.

In any case, there is no question that this is disrespectful - even abusive - to fellow Marines to post these pics - as it would be even if the women wanted them posted - so clearly there is a major problem here.  But yes, it would be even worse if men are going around trying to take naked pics without the women even knowing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @sunshine45. I have to second @Isobel Archer's comment that I don't think it's conclusive that naked pictures were taken without consent. 

This was also from the link provided which is interesting.

"A former Marine and an active-duty Marine came forward Wednesday to say photographs taken of them were secretly posted online without their consent along with nude photos of other servicewomen that have led to threatening replies and a military investigation."

It's the wording, separating the "photographs taken of them were secretly posted online without their consent" from the "nude photos of other servicewomen..."  that makes me think the nude photos were not taken without consent. 

And it's not just that making me wonder, it's that if there are a group of Marines out there taking nonconsensual nude photos of women, wouldn't that be a bigger story than the website? 

The who, where, and how of it. Is it still happening? 

I mean wouldn't female Marines be scared to death to ever take off their clothing if their fellow Marines are secretly snapping their pictures when they're naked? And where is it happening? The barracks, a tent, the shower, the loo?

Because as bad as sharing photos is, along with names, and the disgusting comments, someone taking secret nude photographs is worse and scary, and could surely be prosecuted with not only a huge fine but jail time.

It will be interesting to see what develops (no pun intended). It should be fairly easy to tell which shots were posed and which were not. 

Honored Contributor

"Aside from those on active duty, some users who identified themselves as cadets at some military service academies started threads to try to find nude photos of their female classmates.

In a thread dedicated to the US Military Academy at West Point, some users who appeared to be cadets shared photos and graduation years of their female classmates.

"What about the basketball locker room pics, I know someone has those," one user said, apparently referring to photos taken surreptitiously in a women's locker room. "I always wondered whether those made it out of the academy computer system," another user responded."

http://www.businessinsider.com/nude-photo-marine-corps-pentagon-scandal-2017-3

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

Women were stupid to take them and the men were stupid to post them. Young people do not always have the maturity we think they do. 

Just because a woman takes a photo does not give anyone the right to publish it without her consent. That is blaming the victim for something she has not agreed to. 

The same as saying she asked for it.

Bravo, excellent comment.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam