Valued Contributor

Re: MAMMOGRAM AND WAITING FOR RESULTS

it  has to do with insurance companies. i used to wait and get my results right away, not anymore!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bella2022 wrote:

try waiting for 6 days, very stressful.

@Bella2022

I get a letter 2 1/2 weeks after the mammogram.  Six days would be shockingly fast!

Respected Contributor

I have an appointment this Friday. The radiologist reads the films while you wait in the dressing room. If nothing looks suspicious the tech comes in, tells you and you can leave. It takes a while but it is worth it to get the results right away. If the radiologist detects anything, she comes into the dressing room and tells you. In that case the info is immediately transmitted to your doctor and further tests are authorized. This has only happened to me once. I was scheduled to return for more angles and a sonogram. Afterwards the radiologist gave me the all-clear. 

My older sister had the worst shock of her life a couple of months ago. We have no known history of breast cancer in our family but this time something suspicious was found. She went for more angles and a sonogram. Not good so a biopsy was scheduled. Bad news! She had surgery March which went well. Now on estrogen suppressing med and scheduled to start radiation. 

I'll report this when I go on Friday.  Don't know if it will make any difference in how my mammogram will be done this time. I'm not afraid but it is a worry since you do hear of moms and sisters in a family all developing breast cancer.

Respected Contributor

The place where I go does not have a radiologist there every day.  If you are having a diagnostic one done, you have it done when the radiologist is there, and you get the results right away.  If it's just screening, you get a letter in about ten days.

Honored Contributor

I generally get my results back the same day I go, later in the day.  It has never been longer then the next day.  My results are typically released to My Chart, unless there is a problem.  If I see an e-mail from MyChart and my doctor hasn't called, I know it's good news.  If there is a problem, my doctor calls me and won't release results to My Chart until she has spoken to me.    

The only results I ever got immediately was when I had to go for a compression mammogram because something showed up on my screening mammo. 

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

The way I look at it is........ No news is good news.

I've had lots of issues in the past.  When something unusual was found, I received a call back within 48 hours.  When a cancer was found, I received a call the next day and was asked to come back that same day or the next.

My mammo's for the last couple of years have been normal and I get a notice in the mail about a week later.  I had a mammo last Wednesday and haven't heard back, so I'm not too concerned.

My family doctor told me never subscribe to this way of thinking.  He said sometimes no news means your results were lost or they flat out forgot to send them to you or the doctor forgot to call.

He told me that if I don't get test results back within a week or a call back, I need to contact them.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm really surprised by some of the comments here.

Just curious ......  do those who are stressed by waiting for results also get stressed over the possible results of their pap smears?

Yes I did but I don't have to worry about a pap anymore.

Honored Contributor

My last one took 9 days for me to get letter in mail.