Honored Contributor

Re: MAMMOGRAM AND WAITING FOR RESULTS

I get the test done, leave, and don't give it another thought. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have mine next week and I'm not feeling good about it. I'm thinking this one is going to be an issue. ☹️

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I get the test done, leave, and don't give it another thought. 

Wish I were made that way.  I couldn't do that, just couldn't!  I don't worry or think the worse, I just get anxious for an answer, what ever it is!

I've had 2 false positives and gone through the scare of having a second one.  Maybe that's why.

Honored Contributor

I pretty much know my results are normal by the number of digital images taken.  

Regular Contributor

I usually get a phone call within a few hours, then a follow-up letter in a week or two. I make morning appts and they've always called me back the same day. 

Honored Contributor

Usually my results come in the mail in about a week.  The one time I had to return for extra views they called me the next day.  

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt

How is it that you have never had a mammo?

Trusted Contributor

I think they are usually read within 24 hours.  And, like another poster mentioned, two radiologists review them.  Then the reports have to wait to be transcribed.   Call backs come within a day or two. 

I live in Maryland, which is home to Johns Hopkins. I go to one of their suburban satellite radiology locations.  I usually get my results within three days, because they put my report into MyChart when it's complete. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

The way I look at it is........ No news is good news.

I've had lots of issues in the past.  When something unusual was found, I received a call back within 48 hours.  When a cancer was found, I received a call the next day and was asked to come back that same day or the next.

My mammo's for the last couple of years have been normal and I get a notice in the mail about a week later.  I had a mammo last Wednesday and haven't heard back, so I'm not too concerned.

Honored Contributor

Some years ago, I was on a schedule of once every six months and several times I was called back for extra pictures.  Each time the drive was about a half hour each way and that second trip was always tense!

I did complain and asked to be scheduled for testing when a radiologist was on duty.  That got me a consultation with a radiologist who explained their working hours (way too many) to get everything read and the system they used to determine who needed special timing. 

Once she had explained everything, I was just very happy never to be in that group who get read first and called first.  Having to wait a while and drive a bit extra just seems like small potatoes compared to so much I've watched friends and family go through.