Honored Contributor

Re: MAMMOGRAM AND WAITING FOR RESULTS

@Kachina624 wrote:

I get the test done, leave, and don't give it another thought. 

@Kachina624    @Spinach30

I don't either.   If there's a problem, surely someone will let me know.   

Honored Contributor

@skuggles~

I was under the undertanding that it is standard procedure to do an ultrasound when further clarification is needed-that it is considered medically necessary.

They don't do ultrasounds as routine so I think someone coded it wrong!

I think I would make sure my doctor called the insurance co to let them know it was medically necessary. It really is the standard of care for mamograms that show something that needs more testing.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay I've talked to my both my doctors, gyn and primary care. It's out of their hands once it goes to the new film. Turns out that the radiologist is the doc ordering both and "everything was done according to protocol". Hmmm... funny he would say that isn't it? Woman Mad Radiology handled the entire thing, once they determined the need for the new film. and the ultrasound. The ultrasound accompanying the mammo isn't standard of care included/paid for in  my "cheap" plan, and that wasn't too expensive at $100.00. Bottom line, no one cares.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry @skuggles! That is awful.

I can see you've looked into it. I think I still would appeal, call the insurance commissioner and my senator. But sometimes you don't have the energy or time to keep fighting it and I know how that feels too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

It is very easy to say that you just have a mammogram and walk away and forget about it.  I did too -- until I had breast cancer.  For the past 5 years my mammogram was considered diagnostic and I got the results immediately.  This year I will be back to yearly screening mammograms.  There is no way I am going to wait for the results to arrive in the mail.  I discussed this with the tech last year and she said when I call to make the appt I should tell them that I want it to be read immediately.  Who even knew you could do this?  I made the appt and it was no problem.  For on the spot reading the mammogram had to be scheduled between 11 and 4.  Done.  If they had not been able to give me an immediate reading I would have gone to a facility that could.

@judy0330  You're absolutely right; it's easy to have a cavalier attitude when you've never had any issues.  My sister is a BC survivor and holds her breath until she gets the results.  I imagine it's a great relief to have it over and done. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Where I had mine done in Pa they did an immediate reading but when I went to the radiology center here in Fl they said they would be more than happy to read it immediately -- for an additional $50.

Respected Contributor

I get mine immediately. 

Three weeks seems like a very long time. 

Esteemed Contributor

I travel an hour to a university medical center to get my yearly mammograms. They have state-of-the-art equipment and the radiologist reads the results, and compares them to previous mammograms, within minutes. Waiting those 10-15 minutes is stressful but once you get the good news it's a tremendous relief and if there's any question, you go right back in for further testing. Years ago, I went to our local hospital and had to wait at least two weeks for results in the mail. It was no way to treat women.

Honored Contributor

I'm really surprised by some of the comments here.

Just curious ......  do those who are stressed by waiting for results also get stressed over the possible results of their pap smears?

Valued Contributor

try waiting for 6 days, very stressful.