Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

We were sitting outside after we finished the patio cover sealing (a 2-day job for 1 coat!) having lunch when our guests arrived.  All the velvet is off this buck's antlers.  

20200914_144025.jpg

20200914_144108.jpg

20200914_144306.jpg

20200914_144147.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick He appears to be sporting his new winter wear!  Thanks for sharing.

Super Contributor

beautiful 2 look at--BUT--not 2 happy when I saw my wheeping cherry tree with big gouges out of the bark--omg what the heck happened 2 that tree?--I thought it was some kind of disease--no--the landscaper said it was a deer w/antlers--they rub them on a tree for some reason around fall time--that was last fall--it still has the gouges and I hope the tree will continue 2 heal--did put a plastic sleeve around the bark --I hope it will survive--I bought some powder that keeps away deer so I will start now to put some down around the tree----------------------------marynj

Honored Contributor

@danedylan wrote:

beautiful 2 look at--BUT--not 2 happy when I saw my wheeping cherry tree with big gouges out of the bark--omg what the heck happened 2 that tree?--I thought it was some kind of disease--no--the landscaper said it was a deer w/antlers--they rub them on a tree for some reason around fall time--that was last fall--it still has the gouges and I hope the tree will continue 2 heal--did put a plastic sleeve around the bark --I hope it will survive--I bought some powder that keeps away deer so I will start now to put some down around the tree----------------------------marynj

@danedylan They have to rub the velvet off, it doesn't fall off.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@danedylan wrote:

@danedylan They have to rub the velvet off, it doesn't fall off.

@danedylan, The velvet rots and smells really horrible and that smell travels. They have to get it off or it will bring predators right to them.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   How lucky to have visitors for apres lunch!   Perhaps one day you will find  the deer enjoying the shade under your beautiful patio cover awaiting their lunch. 

If you attach a bell that they can reach, they can summon you and PapaWick!  Oh how I would love to be there.  

Great job on the patio.  Woofs to Cricket.  Does she have a special place on it?

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

The velvet on the antlers is very vascular and bleeds when they rub it off.  I was watching Buckley rub his late last week and was shocked at the blood!  I had to research this.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

@luvzchiz  Cricket has a Coolaroo dog bed on the patio.  We have a 12 ft tie out that she uses with a harness, otherwise she'd chase the big dogs.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

What a beautiful family you have!  Thank you for sharing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick  Thank you for your reply.

Of course Cricket does!  I secretly knew that.   Woofs to Cricket.

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet