Esteemed Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Lost Car Key Replacement

I don't know if most people know this (I didn't), but if you slide your key fob, there's an actual key inside.  It's there in case the fob doesn't work for some reason (ex. - battery dies).  My mechanic was the one who told me about it.  You'd think the dealer would have informed me of that.  By the way, when traveling, it's a good idea to take both key fobs with you just in case you lose one.  I keep one in my handbag and another in a separate location that I still have easy access to ICE.  I sometimes travel great distances alone and a fear I always have is I'll get stranded at a rest stop.  

Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom this is correct. I have a Nissan Rogue and my cousin has a Nissan Pathfinder. She didn't know about the actual "key" hidden inside the key fob until I showed her how to access it. Her key fob's battery was dead and she couldn't start her car until I showed her where the emergency key (as I call it) is.

Respected Contributor

@Biftu 

We have lost a couple of keys to our two vehicles within the last 5 years.  We have paid that much for each replacement key.

An expensive mistake!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Refer to your owner's manual for instructions on starting the car when the remote battery is dead.

Respected Contributor

Yes.  Not that I've lost mine but I know that's the cost of new keys.  Usually those are the "no key" start.  Meaning you push down the brake and push the button and car starts.  Doesn't mean it's an electric car, because that's what my car does and it's not electric.  Inside the bob is the key if you want to start it that way.  But the cost is correct.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman    This whole key fob caper sounds like a huge scam by auto manufacturers.  I'm surprise people haven't yelled and screamed about it.  I'm glad I have an old, simple car. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My fob fell off my purse twice last year and for the grace of god people found it on the ground and it was returned to me.  I had been using one of the clip on key holders on the side of my purse.  I guess it got loose and the first time the fob fell off in the parking lot of the grocery store.  Some kind soul took it to the customer service desk and I retrieved it.  Two weeks later it fell off again in the parking lot at HomeGoods.  Another kind soul picked it up and stuck it in the door handle of my car.  I used up all my lucky cards by now and threw away the key holder.  My fob is now deep in the bottom of my purse and doesn't leave that spot.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Refer to your owner's manual for instructions on starting the car when the remote battery is dead.

@novamc1    The BIG CHALLENGE is getting into a locked car......(I know there is an emergency "key" inside the fob).....but you need a screwdriver to get to it.....then you have to figure out how to get to the slot UNDER the door handle.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Yes.  Not that I've lost mine but I know that's the cost of new keys.  Usually those are the "no key" start.  Meaning you push down the brake and push the button and car starts.  Doesn't mean it's an electric car, because that's what my car does and it's not electric.  Inside the bob is the key if you want to start it that way.  But the cost is correct.

@ScrapHappy  As I stated above in my post, my car isn't a no start one but my Subaru keys cost $350 each to replace.

I even do have the extra insurance on my car that I got when I bought it which covers keys, but they told me it didn't cover my BENT keys because that wasn't a manufacturer defect.  Really? It was a car key where the metal used was so flimsy that 2 of the keys bent with normal usage!  I've been driving since age 16 (I'm 69 now) and never had car keys that bent before; and not just one but two!