Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lost Car Key Replacement

Even when DS had a 2003 car his duplicate key had to be made at the dealership.

My 2014 car that was purchased after being previously owned only came with one key fob! I guard it with my life.

As per suggestions here I am going to add my phone number to the fob today!

To replace the fob battery cost me $50.00 at the dealership a few years ago. Ouch! 

Next time I will try Batteries Plus first.

Respected Contributor

I locked my keys in the car at the Toyota Dealer Service area. I was there all day  and tired,  70 miles from home. A faulty seatbelt that I had to come back and have it replaced under warranty . I am standing in front of the window by my car and they always lock all doors anyway, as standard.

They were able to make a key to unlock the outside ,door only which was ok as keys were in the car. They offer another set of keys and insurance of sorts to cover lost keys when I bought the car but declined.

I heard of a party in my small town  that had to have her car towed three plus hours to a BMW dealer from our small tow  as locked keys in the car in our small town. I bet that cost?

Honored Contributor

@Biftu ...................yes that is the going rate for car replacement key.  It contains a computer chip.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Gorgf  I guess if you accidentally lock your keys in your car, you were at the best place to be as opposed to some random parking lot or something.  Glad it worked out.  On her previous car, my DD ended up having one of those type keys, too, that only unlocked the door.  🔑

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

My friend lost his Subaru car keys while food shopping.  A store employee helped him look to no avail.  He called me to pick him up so he could go home and get his other car key.  He called the dealer and they charge $340 for a new key!  Has anyone run into this problem?  

I'm assuming it's a key fob? And yes, they are very costly to replace.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

get a Tile might save the $300 

Esteemed Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Is it a vehicle with keyless ignition? Cost of the technology. Before I pay for a new spare I would call the store in the morning to see if they were found, then go back to the store early when not busy, recheck, and go through the parking lot.

I don't believe it is keyless ignition.  He has looked everywhere and gave his phone number to customer service in case someone turns them in.  His key fob does have his phone number on it.  Actually the store employee even went to through the outside trash bin!

Esteemed Contributor

Reading all the postings is interesting..........for a GM car I have OnSTAR as my protection.  They can unlock your door and start the engine if key is lost.

Also, if car is stolen and on the run.....they can knock out the engine - - and locate you if you're in a ditch.

I know it isn't for everyone....but  it's my security blanket when alone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

I agree with @venezia...........

You must have a REALLY  old car. 

I even had a keypad with chip in my old 2007 Camry, long gone since 2018.  My Subaru uses remote keypad controls.

Husband's 2014 Toyota Avalon uses a keyless  remote control. 

And yes, they are expensive to replace if lost, and batteries in them must be replaced between long intervals of use.

I keep one  at home and the other inside a little leather case tucked away in my handbag.....never have to pull it out except if leaving the car for service.  Reduces the chance of it getting lost.  If I lose the handbag, I'll lose a lot more than the car remote.

ETA you don't need to do anything even to open the door except touch the door handle if carrying the remote nearby.  If the remote battery is dead, the owner's manual tells how to use the dead remote to start the car and still get to where you need to go to get that battery replaced.  Modern technology convenience.

Honored Contributor

The guys on Goonzquad (a couple of kids on YouTube who buy wrecked cars and rebuild them) had to buy a new key for an Audi they purchased and it was $700 for that key. Some cars now have apps that you can use on your phone as key replacements. As long as you have your phone, you have a key. That can be very handy given the cost of replacement keys these days.

The key fobs are ridiculously overpriced for what's inside of them. The electronic components might cost $5 wholesale. But the dealers know you won't throw away a $35,000 car, so they charge you $700 for the new key. You used to be able to program them yourself, but many carmakers now make you use a special computer that only the dealerships have, so you can't just buy one on eBay and get it to work.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!