Honored Contributor

Re: Look what was inside this egg from Costco

@fourpaws56

yikes!!! I only "glanced" at the pic as I love eggs!  Any way you make them.  

Interesting conversation I had with cashier awhile ago at our local WM neighborhood store.  She is a nice young girl and she always checks the eggs before she would ring them up...ok, great.

This particular day she casually said to me:

"Well they look fine from the outside do you still want them?" (she kinda made a face)

I gave her a puzzled look.  Keep in mind they were 68 cents a dozen.   

She then said:  Ok, but you know they are WM eggs.

I said:  Oh eggs are eggs & there cheap!

She said:  All eggs are not the same quality & processing.  And told me she will only buy Eggland Best.

I said:  Thank you I'll keep this in mind.

A few weeks later there was a massive recall on WM eggs😳😳😳.  I couldn't get that conversation out of my mind. 

Then Publix had a big egg recall...within weeks.

After this, I'll buy nothing but Eggsland Best....and I do the same: check the carton for any leakage or broken ones.  And I also break them in a separate dish before adding them.

And never think twice about paying more!  

Super Contributor

Once I got a bad watermelon and lugged it back to the store. The checker said I didn't have to do that and I got another one. Then it happened again and I just brought the receipt and the checker said I should have brought it back but they gave me another one anyway.If I bought a watermelon and it just wasn't sweet or whatever I would say it way my fault or bad luck, but these were really rotten.  I was embarrassed the second time when I didn't bring it back to the store. I felt a little scolded, especially since I shop there all the time so why I be ripping them off. I guess bringing the food back or not is a toss up. 

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Icegoddess

I do that in a normal grocery store, but Costco packaging doesn't make opening-before-buying very feasible where I shop. 

You are absolutely right, though.  If the carton opens easily for inspection, do the prudent thing!!

Breakage used to be a huge problem at the local Costco, and one always had to open the cartons and check before purchasing. But our Costco went to a different type of packaging (made of a rigid, clear plastic rather than foam), and since then I think I've only had a problem with one egg (which had leaked and become stuck in the "carton") out of the many dozens I've purchased. Now, I just look for obvious breakage (which I seldom, if ever, see) and call it a day, as the new packaging is not as easy to open.

Honored Contributor

Move on. Throw away the egg and move on. Life goes on.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

It looks simply like a blob of chicken fat to me.  Like those blobs you cut off before you cook chicken. 

Respected Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

Sounds like the Vegan protestors need to move on from Whole Foods and go to Costco. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Some people do eat balut. Not me, but I do eat eggs. Balut is a delicacy in SE Asia.

Yes, it is very popular in the Philippines. My daughter in law, who is Filipino, doesn't eat it but many of her family members do. They always have it at family get togethers. Of course, my son and our family think it's disgusting and won't touch it. He's adamant that it not be introduced to our granddaughter! (Thank Goodness!) The last time we were at their house, they tried to get me to eat Tripe. They laughed when I said I only eat the regular American fare that I'm used to. I don't want anything new or different. That includes duck which I've had but just don't want to eat. In my culture, Puerto Rican, I've seen people eat things both here in the states and in Puerto Rico that I would't touch with a ten foot pole!

Guess it's what you're use to!

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic, continue...

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

Am I the only one that doesn’t see it?

Nope. I just see a cluster of chalazae with no blood vessels. If there are no blood vessels, there's no embryo.

Here's a video of the development process of a chicken embryo. It does not look anything like the egg in the picture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKvez9duEHQ

Here's another which details the days of gestation and you can see that at no point does it look like that. https://youtu.be/uE0uKvUbcfw?t=301

WOW! Just watched the last video link in your post....how amazing to watch from the very beginning day 1 to day 21!  Never knew they could observe it all like that thanks so much for posting....what a cute baby chick at the end!  Creation and birth truly awe inspiring.  

Honored Contributor

One time when l cracked open an egg, there were two yolks. That was the only time that ever happened. It's rare-- one in 1,000 odds. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yuck! Had to eat Oatmeal for breakfast. Just couldn't  bring myself to break an egg after seeing this today!🍳😳

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran