Honored Contributor

Advice for a flight cancellation

[ Edited ]

DS is home from college for a quick fall break and his birthday. He has always had a flight out on Sunday. This year we noticed the airline we use is not flying on Sunday, and others were very expensive. There was a flight early Monday morning, which would cause him to miss one class. He talked to his professor and he was OK with it. 

So yesterday (Sunday) he got a notice on his phone to check in. After midnight he received an e-mail that his flight was cancelled. There was no reason given, and they offered a small voucher. He has never faced this before. I have, but always at the airport, and I'm always able to switch easily to another airline. So I called the airline. They had no reason. They offered another flight, that would take him way out of his way, they would put him up in a hotel room overnight, and he would get in late tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow is his short day, so he would miss all of his classes then too. 

We checked other airlines leaving today. A lot were full, and the ones that weren't were charging way too much. We did buy trip insurance, but I understand that takes months to submit and get reimbursed. 

They have another flight out early Wednesday morning at the same time. Just as today, he would miss his first class. He thought that was the best option, and went upstairs to e-mail his professors, and go back to sleep!

As I said before when it's happened to me, I've always been at the airport. I thought about taking him down and talking to this airline and others there - a 1-1/2 hour drive, but DH didn't think that would help any. 

Have any of you gone through this? How did you handle it? Smiley Frustrated

ETA: He had midterm exams right before break, and papers were due then. So he thinks he will be easily able to make up any work from the classes today and tomorrow, and one Wednesday. I just hope his professors understand! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice for a flight cancellation

He's okay with the Wednesday option. It works for him. So much so that he went back to bed. So why are you fretting over it? It's not the end of his college career, relax Mom.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom-

I would be annoyed at the least with the airline as well and I do think it is unusual 

and not reassuring that:

1. The flight was cancelled without a reason and not giving a reason to the customer service people to be able to give an answer.

2. Cancelling the flight way before check in (not at the airport) without explanation.

Was it American Airlines?

I have had a problem with this airline with scheduling almost everytime.

The only time I had a last minute flight very delayed at the airport I had to ask the captain deboarding from the plane and coming back to the gate where we all sat after several hours.

He finally told me it was a mechanical problem and they were fixing it. I think they were reluctant to tell people.

So I guess I would probably complain to the powers that be for that airline re their lack of information but also think that maybe it was a blessing in disquise and the plane was cancelled for a good (or bad for the plane) reason and my son was safeSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

I also would be annoyed and worried about my son missing classes, even though it sounds like he is ok with that. Some kids think nothing of missing classes and work it all out, and other kids really try not to miss any, if possible. It does depend on the student, the teacher, and what class it is. It looks like Wednesday is probably your best bet.  I just hope there are no delays on that flight, or he will end up with almost an extra week of break. I hope it all works out ok. Let us know what he does and how it goes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, of course the other flights leaving today are already full and the fares high. Supply and demand. The closer to departure time that you book, the more expensive it will be and your choices limited. Is your son on a major airline (DL, UA or AA)? If so, they should've rebooked him on the next available flight to his destination even if it's on another airline. They all have inter-line agreements and can endorse the ticket over to another carrier. If he's on a low cost carrier (Southwest, Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit), you're either stuck until they can find a spot for him or you buy a ticket somewhere else. That's the risk you run when you book with them. As for the reason for the cancellation, what does it matter? Sometimes they divulge the reasons, sometimes they don't, even at the airport.  The only possible reason it might matter is if it would fall under the few conditions where passengers would be entitled to compensation (ie, hotel room, food vouchers, etc). 

The bottom line is, your son is fine with going on Wednesday. Be thankful that his professors are lenient enough on their attendance policies that he can wait until then. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@beach-momif he was sick he would have missed those classes so it isn’t the end of the road.It really stinks that the flight was cancelled and I must say that it seems common these days.My son just went on a business trip where his flight was delayed for a few hours.His return flight was cancelled and he had to take an alternate route home that turned a four hour trip into a whole day.

i think you are lucky to get a little extra time with your son..what if his fight home had been cancelled and you lost the chance to visit.

Honored Contributor

I usually fly United or Delta.  In my experience it the airline cancels the flight, they need to find another flight at their expense.  So if the next flight with room is more expensive, they eat that cost.  Or if another airline is going to the same destination, they should book him on it.  Assuming it's a major airline.  Tell them he HAS to go home today, period.  Usually when the first flight of the day is cancelled, it's a plane issue.  I fly out of a small regional airport.  If the last flight didn't come in last night, the morning flight is cancelled.

If Wednesday is not acceptable to you, tell the airline.  They should accommodate whatever you request.  Don't worry about cost.  They cancel, they eat the cost.  You cancel, you eat the cost.  I've had this happen to me many times over the last two years.  I pick what I want and tell the airline.  They always do it and apologize for the issue.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

DS is home from college for a quick fall break and his birthday. He has always had a flight out on Sunday. This year we noticed the airline we use is not flying on Sunday, and others were very expensive. There was a flight early Monday morning, which would cause him to miss one class. He talked to his professor and he was OK with it. 

So yesterday (Sunday) he got a notice on his phone to check in. After midnight he received an e-mail that his flight was cancelled. There was no reason given, and they offered a small voucher. He has never faced this before. I have, but always at the airport, and I'm always able to switch easily to another airline. So I called the airline. They had no reason. They offered another flight, that would take him way out of his way, they would put him up in a hotel room overnight, and he would get in late tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow is his short day, so he would miss all of his classes then too. 

We checked other airlines leaving today. A lot were full, and the ones that weren't were charging way too much. We did buy trip insurance, but I understand that takes months to submit and get reimbursed. 

They have another flight out early Wednesday morning at the same time. Just as today, he would miss his first class. He thought that was the best option, and went upstairs to e-mail his professors, and go back to sleep!

As I said before when it's happened to me, I've always been at the airport. I thought about taking him down and talking to this airline and others there - a 1-1/2 hour drive, but DH didn't think that would help any. 

Have any of you gone through this? How did you handle it? Smiley Frustrated

ETA: He had midterm exams right before break, and papers were due then. So he thinks he will be easily able to make up any work from the classes today and tomorrow, and one Wednesday. I just hope his professors understand! 

Is this a major hub airport like Chicago OHare or a smaller airport that, for the most part, has flights that connect to the larger airports?  I ask because you mentioned the drive to the airport is 1 1/2 hours away by car.  We used to live in California and would use a small, local airport to connect so SFO or LAX and flights were always being cancelled or delayed.  The usualy explanations were: bad weather/fog, no flight crew, broken plan, no plane, etc.  But many times no explanation was given.  Before we signed up for notices via phone, we didn't know until we were there.  If you want to try to get an answer, I think you'd need to call the airline directly.  Going to the airport will not get you any answers.  Even if you do speak to someone, chances are they're going to give you one of the excuses I've already mentioned and who knows if that is true. 

Respected Contributor

There are many reasons for a flight to be cancelled.  At this point it really doesn't what reason it is.  Flying can become inconvenient sometimes.  It's not like walking down to the corner and catching a bus.  Before you call the airline and start making demands read the Agreement policy he accepted with the airline when he bought the ticket.  It explains their policy and what they will and won't do when a flight is cancelled.

Respected Contributor

@beach-momI'm wondering if your son is flying out on Wednesday. I understand your concern about his missing some classes, especially through no fault of his own. It will be okay. His professors will understand. In the unlikely event they don't, he can "prove" why he wasn't there. Since they just finished mid-terms he won't have to catch up too much. Your son can handle it. I worried about my son when he went away to college and especially the travel but that's what we mother's tend to do. I used to love flying but it is definitely not fun these days. My son travels a lot and just takes it in stride like your son apparently is. Let us know.