Respected Contributor

My situation is different in that my three closest friends are women I met in college, 50 years ago. We grew up together and grew old together. We have been there for each other through the good times and the bad. We have consoled, comforted and cherished each other through marriages, other's children and heath crisises.

I have made work friends over the years but those seem to evaporate once I changed jobs.  Work encompassed most of my life, leaving little time to explore other avenues to make new friends. One of my closest confidants was a neighbor who sadly passed away. I am married without children.

I have two brothers who live out of state and although we talk often, see each other seldom. 

I am sorry that you have been without family for such a long time. I hope you have friends who help to fill the void a bit.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I are old.  We moved away from the area where we were raised and it's a very clannish and insular world there.  So we lost touch, being far away and no common bonds except my family who are gone.

We always worked with older people or people our age and most of them are gone now.  We worked and took care of relatives out of town on so many weekends.  We just never had a time or venue for friends much. 

I would suspect it is sort of a generational and career thing for a lot of people our age who had to move somewhere to make a good living.  A Boomer thing. 

Respected Contributor

My close friend passed away in 2018. We had been friends for 10 years... i miss her every day...she was a free spirit - we had a lot of fun together. She loved thrift shops and put together the cutest outfits. She loved jewelry.  We would go for drinks and apps.  our younger lives had taken convoluted paths - life wasnt easy for either of us. We "got" each other...rip Christine

Esteemed Contributor

My two best friends are the same two from high school.  I have another set of  friends from high school and we get together once a year for dinner.  We're going to do that this weekend.  One of them flies in from the west coast and the other two are local.  My other friends are from work and church.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I don't, either.  It wasn't like something happened btwn friendships, but I grew up without any kind of bonding experiences so it took me a while to figure that out.   A lot of moving over the decades probably had about as much effect on long-term friendships.

I have 4 amazing friends at this point, two of whom I met here on this board.  The other two I met on the SF Shiba cam.     I cherish them as though I've known them my whole life, as they are amazing women for whom I have great respect and adoration.

Respected Contributor

My husband is my best friend.

We started to name people we had been close to for decades and then said "I thought they would be in our lives forever." It's a mystery how people drift apart. 

Honored Contributor

No statistics, but my guess is there are many people without long-term friends.  Life today is very transient,  It is more fun to share about your historical friends, hence most posts sharing their long-term friends.  No, @Winkk you may not be the anomaly here.  Either way, it is not a critical component for happiness.  Are you at peace and satisfied with your life...may not depend on your long term friendships. I think the events you posted are very common in our lives.  Sounds as if you make friends easily and enjoying your life. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a military brat with no longtime friends to speak of.