Contributor

Re: Longaberger coming to QVC

[ Edited ]

One item is up - says the product is imported. 

https://www.qvc.com/Longaberger-Woven-Pie-Basket.product.K50160.html?sc=SRCH

Trusted Contributor

I have quite a few Longaberger baskets. They are extremely well made and functional. I friend of mine was a Longaberger consultant, so I think I single-handedly kept her in business...LOL....but I still use them. I also purchased quite a bit of their Pottery. Very well made and durable.

Sadly though, with the new items being "imported", I can't imagine them being anywhere close to how well made the original ones were.

Honored Contributor

Baskets.  2019; really QVC? 

Trusted Contributor

If I need a basket these days, I can custom order one from Peterboro.  They have great sales and the quality is still there, made in America.

Respected Contributor

I bought all my Longaberger baskets back in the 90's from my good friend, who was a consultant.  They were all made right there in Ohio by talented craftspeople.  I still use and love the ones I bought.  They are the nicest baskets!

I would never purchase one of these new "imported" baskets.  The little town of Dresden Ohio was deeply impacted by the failure of the Longaberger company.  I often wonder if they would still be in operation had Dave Longaberger had not passed.  His daughters just did not have his talent for running the business. 

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I believe the original ones were made from real wood....the one just listed is Maple VENEER....

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Baskets.  2019; really QVC? 

I know!  Just when you think the shopping channels are beginning to understand today's market, they do a backslide.  I see all these basket "collections" in thrift stores along with the porcelain doll "collections" of the past.  LOL!!!  

Respected Contributor

I only purchased three Longaberger baskets back in the craze and I still own and use them.  Their quality is outstanding and they last a lifetime if properly cared for. 

However, now I tend to gravitate to larger unhandled storage baskets.  A lot of the young women have storage baskets on their bridal and baby gift registries.

I probably wouldn't purchase any that QVC sells as I rather doubt the quality will be there plus I don't buy what I don't intend on using.

Respected Contributor

As a made-in-American basket fanatic, but do not need anymore ... it be refreshing to see something different on QVC programming~!  Honestly, how many oil cosmetics and shoe shows can one person tolerate.  

Thank you QVC !

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I believe the original ones were made from real wood....the one just listed is Maple VENEER....

Oh my, a veneer?  For a basket?  I wonder what the veneer is on.