Honored Contributor

In Canada we like white vinegar on our fries.

Esteemed Contributor

"Cheese Fries"....cheddar cheese poured on the fries

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

How about tomato pie and fried green tomatoes?  And I know someone who cooks corn on the cob in the dishwasher for family picnics.  Does that count as a quirk? 

@Sooner 

corn on the cob in a dishwasher? THAT may be the quirkiest thing i have read so far!

i have heard of tomato pies. my mom grew up on fried green tomatoes and fried red tomatoes in the baltimore area. they are great topped with crabmeat and a old bay hollandaise sauce if you want to go upscale.

fried pickles can be seen in restaurants around the area on their appetizer menus.

how about pickle shots? vodka, pickle juice, chili salt......sometimes served in a hollowed out pickle. oyster shooters......drop an oyster in a shot of vodka, add hot sauce.....and then, bottoms up in one shot!

I would try a pickle shot, as long as it's dill.

Honored Contributor
As if French fries on their own weren't fattening enough! 🍟
Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Some dip pretzels in mustard.  Not sure about now, but at one time it was difficult finding pretzels in other parts of the country.

Some pour vinegar on their French fries.  

Another odd one, I think are ketchup sandwiches.  Nothing else.  Lettuce and mayonnaise sandwiches.

Shoo Fly pie.

Very big where I live:  Lebanon Bologna, Philadelphia Cheesesteaks, pierogies, scrapple, chicken pot pie, teaberry ice cream, dandelion greens with bacon dressing, pickled red beet eggs, funnel cake.  There are a lot more.  Mostly of German origin.  

----

Foxxee,

We seem to live reasonably close to one another. I am in SE PA, close to Reading.  How do you eat your ring bologna-- plain, with mustard, or with ketchup?

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I know it sounds disgusting. The first time I had one, I didn't want the fries on it, but my friend insisted I get the full experience. Not bad. Sometimes when we get one now, I'll ask for the fries on the side. It depends on how hungry I am. The sandwich is very filling. I usually get corned beef. I don't think I've ever finished a whole sandwich, usually take half home.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

How about tomato pie and fried green tomatoes?  And I know someone who cooks corn on the cob in the dishwasher for family picnics.  Does that count as a quirk? 

@Sooner 

corn on the cob in a dishwasher? THAT may be the quirkiest thing i have read so far!

i have heard of tomato pies. my mom grew up on fried green tomatoes and fried red tomatoes in the baltimore area. they are great topped with crabmeat and a old bay hollandaise sauce if you want to go upscale.

fried pickles can be seen in restaurants around the area on their appetizer menus.

how about pickle shots? vodka, pickle juice, chili salt......sometimes served in a hollowed out pickle. oyster shooters......drop an oyster in a shot of vodka, add hot sauce.....and then, bottoms up in one shot!

@sunshine45 Yes!  True story!  They would take a bunch of ears of corn in the husk, put them in the dishwasher and let 'er rip!  Actually if you ran a short cycle, no detergent, I guess this would work.  It's very hot water and the steam will hold the corn hot until you shuck it.  So why not?

They would have big family reunions and do this--picnic in the yard sort of thing.  I have never tried, but might some time!  LOL!!!

I would commit larceny I think for a fried tomato topped with crab and Old Bay hollandaise (or Remoulade?) sauce! No, I know I would!  Woman EmbarassedWoman Tongue