Honored Contributor

dune fries are also a big thing.......they are practically a meal. perfect during an evening of cocktails. Smiley Wink

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/83/b1/e5/sand-dune-fries-at-the.jpg

handcut fries fried in peanut oil, covered in two cheeses, crispy bacon, spring onions.....homemade ranch dipping sauce on the side.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have seen people dip fries in the gravy that came with a chicken fried steak or CFS sandwich. . . 

I can't even imagine a burger without mustard.  The yellow kind.  Fast food or good restaurant, you'll have mustard here! 

@Sooner 

lots of places here where you can order fries with a side of gravy.....or smothered in gravy if you like them soggy.

new jersey has a thing......disco fries and they are delicious!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Salt on apple slices and cheddar cheese on apple pie.

Esteemed Contributor

I can see myself pairing these two delicacies.

fullsizeoutput_69a.jpeg    

And this one.  They had me at pickles rolled in potato chips🥔🥒 .

fullsizeoutput_69b.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@NEvans2  Years ago one of the Food Paradise shows was there.  I guess you have no choice about the slaw and fries. Some lady that's worked there since God was in knee pants got quite snippy about people asking for the stuff left off.

Ah, no.  I'm paying you remember. I would go elsewhere.

Fries on bread sounds awful.

Honored Contributor

How about tomato pie and fried green tomatoes?  And I know someone who cooks corn on the cob in the dishwasher for family picnics.  Does that count as a quirk? 

Respected Contributor

That sounds good to me, but I dip my fries in ranch, also about amy kind of sandwich I eat.I live in Idaho and the coffee shop where we all went for coffee looks like it is out of business. Sad We are   hoping it can comes back as there are so many people there who need the jobs. Now I'm going to find a new place.   You've got me hungry so guess I'll go to a Mexican place about eight miles from here, 

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

When I moved to SC about 10 years ago.  I stopped in a hot dog place.  Asked for a Coney Dog.  They did not know what I was talking about.  Ok its a wiener with chili sauce on it, ok I will take one.  The next question was do you want the wiener with that?  Huh?, they eat the chili sauce on the bun without the wiener.  So true, when I was cooking in a bar people would ask for a chili dog with no wiener.  Some do it here in NC too.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Not where I live now, but I grew up in Boston.

It was there that I learned my love of dipping grilled cheese sandwiches into ketchup. I still do that.

It was there that I learned to put ketchup on my eggs, white rice and my dad would put ketchup on egg noodles. 

Don't know if that was or is a thing where I grew up but that's where I learned to do it.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

How about tomato pie and fried green tomatoes?  And I know someone who cooks corn on the cob in the dishwasher for family picnics.  Does that count as a quirk? 

@Sooner 

corn on the cob in a dishwasher? THAT may be the quirkiest thing i have read so far!

i have heard of tomato pies. my mom grew up on fried green tomatoes and fried red tomatoes in the baltimore area. they are great topped with crabmeat and a old bay hollandaise sauce if you want to go upscale.

fried pickles can be seen in restaurants around the area on their appetizer menus.

how about pickle shots? vodka, pickle juice, chili salt......sometimes served in a hollowed out pickle. oyster shooters......drop an oyster in a shot of vodka, add hot sauce.....and then, bottoms up in one shot!