Honored Contributor

Re: Living Your Life on Social Media

@bobby5 wrote:
I think people who post a good portion of their lives on social media are insecure attention seekers. I'll give you an example. Some people go through an illness privately, while others pretty much post the whole thing on social media. I know everyone handles things differently but, to me, it seems like those that put everything out there are looking for adulation. What say you?

@bobby5, It helps some people to cope with something like an illness or other problem. I know it has helped me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I respectfully disagree. Just by posting this is the epitome of judgement upon others. This leads one to wonder why this is helpful or meaningful unless it's to draw attention itself.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think there are a variety of reasons.

A study has been done on this.  "Likes" and "follows" translate into approval from others.  Some people are seeking approval, others not so much. However, "follows"  on Twitter, for example, mostly mean your message reaches more people, the ultimate goal.   

Some are looking for the latest news about critical issues.  They also want to know what others think of those issues.  

Some pass on information they think others should know.  

Some are lonely.

Bored with their own lives.  

Just as many are addicted to their cellphones, some are addicted to social media. 

Some find pleasure in attacking others who say things they don't like. There are organized groups who do this to certain people.  They are trying to diminish those people in the eyes of others.

Some think social media is fun.  They learn things they didn't know before.  

Some enjoy discussing their favorite subjects and hobbies with others.  

Some use social media to share their experiences. They might not have anyone to talk to or anyone who will listen to them at home.  I have learned a lot from them.  

Some ask for advice because they are stuck and it makes sense to them to get a variety of opinions before making decisions.  

Some ask for prayers for a loved one, human or pet...well, that doesn't need to be explained, does it?

There are more reasons, but this is a start.  

Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee

Wow lots of food for thought there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bobby5 wrote:
I think people who post a good portion of their lives on social media are insecure attention seekers. I'll give you an example. Some people go through an illness privately, while others pretty much post the whole thing on social media. I know everyone handles things differently but, to me, it seems like those that put everything out there are looking for adulation. What say you?

@bobby5 I think there is a vast difference between someone who is monetizing their illness on social media and someone looking for a little advice or seeking comfort...

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11

I agree! Advice/comfort yes. Monetizing no.
Respected Contributor

I feel sorry for people like that. It's too bad they don't have a life except on a computer. There is nothing like looking someone in the eye & having a real conversation. I do think some people use social media to get attention.
Valued Contributor

@brandiwine  There are too many folks who are isolated and not by their own choice. I don't think the average person does this for attention seeking. But for a much more innocent cause. Are those isolated not supposed to reach out to others when what they're seeking is acceptance, support, advice and some semblance of contact? The folks who don't reach out are at the highest level of suicide. I guess I don't think the worst in people. 

Super Contributor

@brandiwine I guess then you would feel sorry for me.  I burried my husband in 2010, retired at age 71 in 2019.  I don't eat much, so no need to go shopping or cooking, live in a rural area, can only clean and do laundry so much.  What should I do with my quiet life? The computer is my means to get away from the TV.  And I learn lots of stuff.  So please don't feel sorry for me, I'm very satisfied with my life on the computer.

Trusted Contributor

I have to wonder about this also when I see people post on Facebook, pictures of what they have for dinner, a new pillow they just bought, they are waiting at the airport etc. etc. It seems very strange to me that a person would assume these things are interesting to others. It’s like they have to post every single common detail of their life.