Valued Contributor

Re: 💲 Lisa Marie Presley is Broke! 😮

[ Edited ]

What a mess that Lisa has always been.  Still - no excuses.  She should have overseen her money.  Putting an estate like that with an individual or small company would not be something I would do. I would spread it among larger firms like Fidelity or such.  And I would oversee it carefully.

She needs  to be able to support herself, but at this late in the game, it is not likely.

Esteemed Contributor

She comes across as very unlikeable in interviews......JMO

Honored Contributor

It must have been a difficult road to walk in her father's shadow.

Who knows.  I really don't like to see noses turned up and frowns turned down on her; while I agree that falling down broke from having millions is a far cry from being broke beause one is poor, it's stil a situation that seems to have been allowed to run amok with no guidance.   Millions of $$ can be lost with adults-such as Nicholas Cage.

Millions of $$ inherited to a very young girl is equally subject to fraud/mishandling/etc.-perhaps even more so.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

No sympathy from me. I was fortunate enough to see Elvis, live in concert, here in our city 4 of his 5 shows(hospital back surgery, missed that one). Got to see 1 of his last, in August of 1977. He didn't look good, but his voice was more powerful than any of his other concerts I attended. He earned every penny of my ticket price, plus some.

How many similar celeb stories like this have we heard? Have 100's of millions, and then somehow are broke! Over and over it is someone else's fault you don't have any money? Not much common sense seems to be at least part of the reason. Most average people that work hard and make a good living, know how and where it is spent.

I remember an opposite story of someone that was "dead broke", and a few years later has a worth estimated at $250,000,000! Wonder how that happened? I got a good guess!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

probably paid no taxes

Honored Contributor

@hckynutwrote:

No sympathy from me. I was fortunate enough to see Elvis, live in concert, here in our city 4 of his 5 shows(hospital back surgery, missed that one). Got to see 1 of his last, in August of 1977. He didn't look good, but his voice was more powerful than any of his other concerts I attended. He earned every penny of my ticket price, plus some.

How many similar celeb stories like this have we heard? Have 100's of millions, and then somehow are broke! Over and over it is someone else's fault you don't have any money? Not much common sense seems to be at least part of the reason. Most average people that work hard and make a good living, know how and where it is spent.

I remember an opposite story of someone that was "dead broke", and a few years later has a worth estimated at $250,000,000! Wonder how that happened? I got a good guess!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

The phrase that comes to mind is "easy come, easy go".

I know a lot of people are quick to blame "show business" and I guess there's some truth to it.  However, this also happens to lottery winners all the time.  ....  as well as ordinary people who unexpectedly come into great sums of money.

I thought her mom, Priscilla Presley, had a very tight grip on all the Presley estate finances.    Guess not.

My guess is that Lisa Marie was raised never wanting for anything and never even was aware of the concepts of financial management ... and budgeting.  Not her fault, exactly.   Not necessarily lack of common sense.  You can't want to learn about something that you don't even know exists!  JMO   

Honored Contributor

I'm only guessing that people in that situation (having a lot of money at a young age, or any age for that matter) should, at the very least, attend a community college; major in finance, business, or whatever else that includes money management.  Two years of taking those type of classes would be very beneficial. 

The common sense aspect would eventually 'kick in'. 

Jmo.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I'd call Warren Buffet and take his advice.

Let him be my financial consultant he could appoint somebody for me

Honored Contributor

@ROMARYwrote:

I'm only guessing that people in that situation (having a lot of money at a young age, or any age for that matter) should, at the very least, attend a community college; major in finance, business, or whatever else that includes money management.  Two years of taking those type of classes would be very beneficial. 

The common sense aspect would eventually 'kick in'. 

Jmo.

@ROMARY

Even though I quit high school, way back when, I took 1 semester of Bookkeeping/General Business, and type, all of which proved invaluable to me in my life. Do they not teach these classes in schools anymore? I really have no idea, but I would hope they would be at least an option. I would hope one would not need to go to college to learn things everyone should know about living an independent life!

As far as common sense? I have met many men with Masters and Doctorate Degrees that have the common sense of a ****ant. I should have left those 2 words out of my other post.

hckynut(john)

@

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

HockyNut:

I meant business common sense. 

The more we learn about money and how to manage it, the more a business venture either 'makes sense' or doesn't make any sense at all.

Well, I would only hope.

Thanks for your post.  Hope all is well with you and Mrs. Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).