Honored Contributor

'Lion Whisperer' hugs Adult Lioness He Rescued at Birth

Astonishing footage has been released showing a South African conservationist known as the 'Lion Whisperer' cuddling a lioness he rescued at birth.

In nerve-wracking slow-motion footage, Kevin Richardson is seen standing in water as an enormous lion jumps towards him from the reeds in a seemingly predatory attack. 

But the lion - one of two rescued by Richardson when they were rejected their by their mother - is actually just diving in for a cuddle. 

In the GoPro video, he explains that he has an 'unspoken language' with the beasts - Meg and Amy. 

He said in the video: 'When I call Meg and she comes swimming and I see in her face, "if I come to you are you going to catch me?".

'She looks at me, I look at her - and we know. That's trust.'

Between clips of Kevin stroking the lions, he says that their mother abandoned them in a 'ditch'. 

He said that rather than see them in cages, he preferred to give them a chance of a better quality of life.

So he took them out of their enclosures and put them in a wildlife park with other animals. 

But if he and the lions had not had their 'history', Kevin believes they would have ended up 'in some shape or form' as part of the lion hunting market. 

He added: 'Definitely, in my mind, they were destined for a bullet.' 

His video is titled 'For the Love of Lions'.     

It is dedicated to Cecil the Lion, a 13-year-old male who lived in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe before he was killed by an American big game hunter in 2015.

Love: But the great leap is revealed to have been merely a prelude to a nice little cuddle 

More photos and video here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4798828/Astonishing-moment-lion-whisperer-catches-HUGS-lion....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: 'Lion Whisperer' hugs Adult Lioness He Rescued at Birth

@KingstonsMom ... Awww...what a sweet video!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

Thank you for the heartwarming smiles. 

Esteemed Contributor

Is...the lion gone yet?

Image result for squirrel hiding

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Astonishing footage has been released showing a South African conservationist known as the 'Lion Whisperer' cuddling a lioness he rescued at birth.

In nerve-wracking slow-motion footage, Kevin Richardson is seen standing in water as an enormous lion jumps towards him from the reeds in a seemingly predatory attack. 

But the lion - one of two rescued by Richardson when they were rejected their by their mother - is actually just diving in for a cuddle. 

In the GoPro video, he explains that he has an 'unspoken language' with the beasts - Meg and Amy. 

He said in the video: 'When I call Meg and she comes swimming and I see in her face, "if I come to you are you going to catch me?".

'She looks at me, I look at her - and we know. That's trust.'

Between clips of Kevin stroking the lions, he says that their mother abandoned them in a 'ditch'. 

He said that rather than see them in cages, he preferred to give them a chance of a better quality of life.

So he took them out of their enclosures and put them in a wildlife park with other animals. 

But if he and the lions had not had their 'history', Kevin believes they would have ended up 'in some shape or form' as part of the lion hunting market. 

He added: 'Definitely, in my mind, they were destined for a bullet.' 

His video is titled 'For the Love of Lions'.     

It is dedicated to Cecil the Lion, a 13-year-old male who lived in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe before he was killed by an American big game hunter in 2015.

Love: But the great leap is revealed to have been merely a prelude to a nice little cuddle 

More photos and video here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4798828/Astonishing-moment-lion-whisperer-catches-HUGS-lion....

I just saw this in the Daily Mail, amazing! Thanks for sharing @KingstonsMom! Heart

Honored Contributor

That video could have gone two ways, luckily for the *whisperer*--it went well.

I think for a millisecond even he thought it could have gone badly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Is...the lion gone yet?

Image result for squirrel hiding

@mistriTsquirrel

BIG LOL!Heart

ETA -  What a sweet little squirrelly face!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom - TY so much for posting! It sounds like he sees the two lionesses he rescued quite a bit. I have no doubt they recognize his smell and probably his voice. Lions are dangerous of course, but they have brains. She's hugging her adoptive "daddy"! Kudos for Kevin for letting them roam free in a safe place! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

That video could have gone two ways, luckily for the *whisperer*--it went well.

I think for a millisecond even he thought it could have gone badly.

@Lucky Charm

I know! After living in the wild since he released them, you know he had to be praying hard, that she still recognized him and had not totally reverted to her natural, wild instincts!

I have to admit that I would not have been brave enough......kudos to him!

Trusted Contributor

Absolutey amazing!  Thanks for sharing Smiley Happy