Honored Contributor

This country is so divided right now that I feel dividing it further is not a good idea.  I have people in my life that disagree with my beliefs and we agree not to discuss these items.  I grew up being taught that people with good manners do not discuss politics or religion and I am sticking with that for now.

Occasional Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

This country is so divided right now that I feel dividing it further is not a good idea.  I have people in my life that disagree with my beliefs and we agree not to discuss these items.  I grew up being taught that people with good manners do not discuss politics or religion and I am sticking with that for now.

I too always felt that it was a good tenet to follow, however I think it's important to understand that some opinions these days are just so ugly at their root that it's not a question any longer about it just being a passing disagreement or something that will evaporate into thin air after the dust settles. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I've found that a few of my acquaintences get extremely sulky when I cut off those discussions. It's annoying but worth it because otherwise I wouldn't want to talk with them at all.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

@wilma wrote:

Feeling more and more like this lately....

738A35B3-41F9-422D-A2A0-7B308DD23B83.jpeg

Thumbs up @wilma !

Honored Contributor

So very true!

I have an old "friend" who I've been friends with since we were both 10 years old.  Over the years particularly most recently she's made a lot of not very nice comments to me and I feel her "sucking the happiness out of me" whenever I would spend any time with her.

It got really bad last Christmas. She made several  snarky & unpleasant critical comments that upset me when she came to my home for the holiday while I was entertaining extended family.

To make a long story short, I have decided now that I have plenty of time to think over this pandemic that I just can't have someone bringing me down and sucking the happiness out of me each time I'm around them...I deserve better. 

However it does make be a bit sad since I'm a sentimental person and we have a very long history.