Esteemed Contributor

💯🙌

Esteemed Contributor

In 1996 I circled my wagons and let go of toxic people from a certain segment of my life. Painful, yet healthy. Glad I did it. In 2020, I made similar changes. Unfriended about 65 FB 'friends.' I know a lot of these friends were randoms from childhood, high school, neighbors, church friends, former work friends or cousins I never see. If I notice mysoginist or racist remarks, hateful remarks from religious folks, confederate flags or people going down the rabbit hole with conspiracy theories, I unfriend. Cathartic. Friends we used to travel with since our boys were in elementary school together won't be on my travel list. Retired police detective came out as a hateful racist in his remarks. Thirty years of friendship and I never noticed. Hubs told me it began showing up a couple of years ago after he retired. Our tribe certainly becomes smaller as we age.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

You only have so many cheeks to turn!  So, after years of that, and turning myself inside out for people, and making excuses for their bad behavior and duplicity --- I wised up and walked away.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

YES !!!!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Oh so true.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

What works for me is to behave in a way that completely confuses and repels anyone who wouldn't wish me well. It's kind of like a forcefield of wellbeing.

No matter what you do there will always be people who dislike you, so just make sure all of them are folks you want to repel.

@Porcelain my mother would always say to me " not everyone is going to like you, that's their problem."

Honored Contributor

Dealing with Difficult People Without Killing Anyone

Esteemed Contributor

This is unfortunate but true.  I've had a few people in my life over the years that were totally negative.  You have to remove negativity from your life to find positivity.  It's that simple, as difficult as the removal part can be.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

After about 8 months of restrictions, I've almost lost my ability for small talk, have less patience for B.S. in general. Without seeing people's expressions on their faces, I'm doubting if they're smirking or smiling. Social interactions have been quite limited. 

Life's always been short...shorter now since the future can be uncertain. People who suck out my happiness? I got them out of my life many years ago. Why waste my time? 

My husband and I walk every morning he pushes our dogs in a stroller. We see lots of people and speak to many of them. I feel like I talk to more people now than I did before the lockdown started. Several people come out to see us when we're out. It's kinda nice to get to know our neighbors more than just the ones on our street. And only one couple wear masks outside and they're walking. We all stand a distance away so we see a lot of smiles. 

Honored Contributor

I have been most fortunate in that I have close long term friends and have most of my life.  I managed along the way to shift out those who were not friends but just acquaintances.  The people who surround me are positive, caring, loving and loyal.  I couldn't ask for more.  If I do meet someone who is negative, I sense it and the relationship is short.  I had to learn who my true friends were and thankfully I am blessed.