Super Contributor

Re: Less meat in package than stated on label

@nana59 wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

I think sometimes you're ripped off a few cents, sometimes you've made a few cents.

Personally I'm not going to get fluffed up, weigh stuff, call companies etc.  It's just not good for my mental health. It bodes me well not to be a victim.

Just my opinion 

i agree....i understand what she's saying....but if she doesn't deal with it....she might have to spend money on medication....hope she takes care of herself......

There's a lot of posts here airing their pet peeves that I think are silly.  However, I refrain from telling people they have a mental problem.  Or were you joking and I didn't get it?  In any case, any and all opinions are noted and considered!  Woman Tongue

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

I think it's very unfair to criticize the OP.  And then to say she has mental issues or too much time on her hands is very rude.

It may not be the money, but it's the principle.  One ounce here and one ounce there adds up...

Esteemed Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

Thank you for providing these links.  One of these links was talking about "wet tare" and "dry tare", the same thing the man from the Dept. of Ag was explaining to me about.  Another thing spoken of was "the stated weight must be within an approved range".  One ounce?  Two ounces?  They don't say.  They make it so complicated, the average consumer will just throw up their hands and say, to heck with it.  Sounds like a "loop hole" the stores are taking advantage of.

And I agree with you that they are getting away with it because no one is checking. I don't think it's a waste of time to check that I'm getting what I pay for.  It only takes me about 15 seconds to place a pound of hamburger on the scale and check the weight.  I did it the first time just out of curiosity and now just check every now and then to see if the shortage has continued. It has. 

@caroln242,  have you tried weighing the meat with the absorbant pads then again without the pads?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I think it's very unfair to criticize the OP.  And then to say she has mental issues or too much time on her hands is very rude.

It may not be the money, but it's the principle.  One ounce here and one ounce there adds up...

@Bri369 

No one said she has mental issues.  Re read the post

Honored Contributor

It's also a good idea to weigh pre-measured bags of produce to ensure you're getting your money's worth - e.g. three pound bags of mandarins, apples, etc.  If the bag you picked comes up short, then pick another.

Esteemed Contributor

Net weight includes "juices" found in the samples tested.  No ironclad guarantee with prepackaged items.

Also be careful about the "added or injected" solutions in the grocery. They have you paying for salt water 🤬

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I agree. Just because some people here are passive and wouldn't think twice about it doesn't make the complaint invalid.  OP has every right to register a complaint.  

Super Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@caroln242 wrote:

Thank you for providing these links.  One of these links was talking about "wet tare" and "dry tare", the same thing the man from the Dept. of Ag was explaining to me about.  Another thing spoken of was "the stated weight must be within an approved range".  One ounce?  Two ounces?  They don't say.  They make it so complicated, the average consumer will just throw up their hands and say, to heck with it.  Sounds like a "loop hole" the stores are taking advantage of.

And I agree with you that they are getting away with it because no one is checking. I don't think it's a waste of time to check that I'm getting what I pay for.  It only takes me about 15 seconds to place a pound of hamburger on the scale and check the weight.  I did it the first time just out of curiosity and now just check every now and then to see if the shortage has continued. It has. 

@caroln242,  have you tried weighing the meat with the absorbant pads then again without the pads?

No, I haven't.  Will do that!

Man plans. God laughs.
Super Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It's also a good idea to weigh pre-measured bags of produce to ensure you're getting your money's worth - e.g. three pound bags of mandarins, apples, etc.  If the bag you picked comes up short, then pick another.

That is a good idea.  Whenever I pick up a bag of produce, if it feels light, I'll weigh it.  But luckily so far, produce hasn't been shorted when weighed.  Usually is a little over! 

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@Bri369 

No one said she has mental issues.  Re read the post

@scatcat   She implied that if she did not deal with it she could end up needing medication.

Either way, it was indicated that this could lead to a mental issue needing medication.

Not cool.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh