Super Contributor

Less meat in package than stated on label

I've been weighing hamburger and breakfast sausage packages for months and I found that they consistently weigh less than what is stated on the label.  I reported one sausage company to my state Dept. of Agriculture Weights and Measures division and got some song and dance about tare weight versus gross weight, etc.  I don't care what they say, if the package says NET weight 16 ounces, I expect to have bought 1 pound of meat.

I quit buying hamburger in the plastic roll because a couple times I found half of it fat.  I decided I would buy the more expensive package of store wrapped hamburger, thinking I wouldn't get ripped off, weight-wise.  Well, today I came home with a pound of hamburger, opened it up, slapped it on my digital scale.  It was 1.25 ounces short of a pound.  I put the packaging on top of the meat and it registered a tidge over 1 pound.  So much for the label saying NET weight 16 ounces.  And I really don't think a whole 1.25 ounce of "fluid" leaked into the tray pad.

I haven't weighed all of the meat I bring home, but I imagine I'm also getting ripped off when buying roasts, chicken, and chops.

Can you imagine how much money the stores are saving by ripping off millions of customers an ounce at a time?  And complaining seems to get nothing done about it.

I suppose I could go to the butcher shop for certain meats, but the added cost (they are always more expensive) doesn't seem to make sense.

Sorry for the rant.  I just hate getting ripped off.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

Re: Less meat in package than stated on label

I think sometimes you're ripped off a few cents, sometimes you've made a few cents.

Personally I'm not going to get fluffed up, weigh stuff, call companies etc.  It's just not good for my mental health. It bodes me well not to be a victim.

Just my opinion 

Honored Contributor

Maybe you should shop some place else.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand that you're upset. Different things bother different people. Something like this doesn't bother me  because I don't have the time to weigh everything I buy. Nor do I want to.An ounce here or there has no impact on the amount of food I put on the table.

Also realize that scales can vary.Calibrating every scale to be identical in measurement I'm guessing is next to impossible.

I have more important things to stress over.

Honored Contributor

@caroln242   If you think this is happening repeatedly at the same store, you need better info.   Weigh several packages to make certain you're "always" being shorted, but weigh the meat WITH the blotting paper.  I have no idea what that might weigh , but i suspect it could be just a bit if the meat was ground within the hour and more if it had been sitting for some hours.

Also, be sure your digital scale is accurate to that quarter ounce.  

Once you are more certain of your complaint, then decide where to take it.

Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Maybe you should shop some place else.  

I have.  One place was a big box store (that we're all familiar with) and another was a major nationwide chain grocery store.  I guess they ALL do the same thing.

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I think sometimes you're ripped off a few cents, sometimes you've made a few cents.

Personally I'm not going to get fluffed up, weigh stuff, call companies etc.  It's just not good for my mental health. It bodes me well not to be a victim.

Just my opinion 

i agree....i understand what she's saying....but if she doesn't deal with it....she might have to spend money on medication....hope she takes care of herself......

Super Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Just my opinion 

But I AM a victim if I'm getting ripped off.  Sticking my head in the sand about it just isn't my way.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

I pick and choose my battles. An ounce of meat missing isn't on my radar for feeling "ripped off."

Honored Contributor

You are more likely to get ripped off by the quality and fat content of the burger meat you buy than simply weight.

Fat is scraps.  The more fat, the more you pay for scraps.  I try to find butcher shops or retailers that sell better burger than what you would get in a package where you wouldn't see what you are getting.

Burgers should be fresh, smell fresh, not have a lot of white fat specks, and cook without water coming out.  A lot of the cheaper stuff is injected with water, and part of it is that super ground pink slime as they call it.

If nothing else, if you have a KitchenAid mixer get the grinder attachment and buy chuck, sirloin or round and grind yourself.   You can also use a food processor (read up on it before you do it) but the KA grinder is better.

Burger meat doesn't need to be inferior.  Often you get what you pay for here.