Honored Contributor

It wasn't our tradition to observe Lent in that way, growing up, but I deeply respect those who understand the meaning and observe.

Esteemed Contributor

I was raised Catholic and had to celebration Lent when I was a kid but after about 13 or so I stopped. My dad had died and my mom no longer was very religious. She only practiced because he did. 

Honored Contributor

Isn't it about voluntary sacrifice?  Giving up things you will miss?  Doing it from an acknowledgment of what has been given up for you and how thankful you are for that? 

I guess if it doesn't mean much to you, then no point at all in doing it.  Not all churches observe Lent. 

Trusted Contributor

@PamfromCT I also graduated from an all-girls Catholic high school.  I am a little bit younger than you.  Yes, they were strict, but I didn't mind.  They were excellent educators.  Lord Jim was required reading in our freshman year.  Anyone who has read Lord Jim will appreciate that.  

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3. I like this very much - thank you.

Respected Contributor

I always give up something for Lent.  This year it's pizza, which I usually have once a week.  

Honored Contributor

I also had nuns and we were given cardboard boxes (not very big) to take home and place our loose change in them and then return them on Holy Thursday or at some point before Easter.

I cannot remember the name on them-it wasn't the Rice Bowl box because that started in the 1970's although it may have had the same type of name.

The point was to put in our allowances or money we would have spent on candy, etc. Of course we could still buy things out of the little store the nuns ran-like holy cards and holy water vessels.

I do remember giving up candy during Lent with my sisters but stopped all that long ago.

Those who prefer to give up a favorite food or activity-that is fine.

Those, like myself, who prefer more solitary things (I liked going to the Stations of the Cross several times)-that is fine.

Some do both.  That is fine.

The giving up isn't quid pro quo; we were always taught you cannot ever equal the supreme sacrifice but honor it with your daily lives.

Ashes, Easter duty, stations of the Cross, giving up favorites-all are part of the Lenten experience and how one chooses is ok.

There really is no right or wrong way.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I honestly don't really give up anything for Lent ever.

And I totally forgot that today was Ash Wednesday and made my DH a chicken sandwich for lunch.  As I was doing my hair, it dawned on me.  Not 5 minutes later he texted me about the chicken sandwich and we aren't supposed to eat meat.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Isn't it about voluntary sacrifice?  Giving up things you will miss?  Doing it from an acknowledgment of what has been given up for you and how thankful you are for that? 

I guess if it doesn't mean much to you, then no point at all in doing it.  Not all churches observe Lent. 

@Sooner , we were always taught it should be a sacrifice.  For instance, I don't eat jelly beans so it would be meaningless for me to give up jelly beans for Lent.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm not sure how long this thread will last because of the religious tone but I haven't given up anything for Lent in years.  We didn't even get ashes the past few years although stopping by for the stations of the Cross here and there was something I would do.  Usually very quite and peaceful, reflection much deeper that way.

I guess everyone has a different feeling about Lent; some of us will not be affected as much as others but whatever one chooses to do will only matter if done with sincerity and from the heart.

@Cakers3 

Beautifully said and particularly that actions done with sincerity and from the heart matter.  After all the many repetitious routines like the rosary, Mass, it was easy at least for me to forget the real meaning.  Speed rosary lol!  Quiet times like you say with a solitary Stations of the Cross can be so meaningful.