Honored Contributor

Has your observance of Lent changed this year?  I feel as though I've already given up a lot and no need to do anything more.

Comments??

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how long this thread will last because of the religious tone but I haven't given up anything for Lent in years.  We didn't even get ashes the past few years although stopping by for the stations of the Cross here and there was something I would do.  Usually very quite and peaceful, reflection much deeper that way.

I guess everyone has a different feeling about Lent; some of us will not be affected as much as others but whatever one chooses to do will only matter if done with sincerity and from the heart.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Even though 2020 felt like one long Lent, I am still going to take inventory of myself and see how I can be better. 

I'll be observing the same practices of Lent this year. Giving up things, trying to volunteer and give to charities. 

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped giving up things for Lent years ago.

I would rather do something, like spending more time reading inspirational works, spending more time “in the quiet” reflecting, and doing positive things, no matter how small, for other people.

I went to a Catholic girl’s school for my high school years.  I did get a good education there, was well prepped for college, but boy were those sisters strict.  That was many years ago, as I am now 76, so some may be able to relate.  

Honored Contributor

We are starting Lent with a Zoom Ash Wednesday service tonight. I think it will be an unusual Lent for a lot of us. It was during this time we all went into quarantine. A while ago I stopped "giving up" something. Instead I make it a point to become more spiritual in my own way, concentrating on devotions and readings.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Has your observance of Lent changed this year?  I feel as though I've already given up a lot and no need to do anything more.

Comments??

@kaydee50 Well, did you give up those things voluntarily?  Did you give them up as an act of faith? Mindfully and with thoughtful intention?  Isn't that the point, not just what has happened in life already? 

I'm no expert but that was my take on Lent from what friends of mine have expressed to me. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Comments??

WOW.  One gave his life for you and you feel like YOU'VE given up enough?

Trusted Contributor

"Giving up" for Lent always seems to be the same thing among those I know

*booze

*smoking

*chocolate

*Starbucks

*s#x  (always wondered about that one)

I don't know this year as sometimes I think so much has been given up by so many especially if they have lost a loved one due to this nightmare. I suppose, for me, it's not so much giving up but engaging in an activity I dread for whatever reason. Example: dealing with a problem (whatever it may be) instead of saying "I'll tackle it tomorrow". Perhaps the "giving up for Lent" in this case would be giving up a state of comfort. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Image result for giving up for lent

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Comments??

WOW.  One gave his life for you and you feel like YOU'VE given up enough?

@rms1954 

So?

Is she supposed to give up her life?

Would that make you happier?

I live in California.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.