Honored Contributor

I received a call about an hour ago from from a distant friend of my DH and I.  He asked if my DH was there and an I said no.  So he said he needed to ask for a favor.  I said what do you need?

He replied $5000!  I quickly replied that we did not have $5000, but I could give him $200.  He said, "thanks, but no thanks" he needed $5000.

He said he would call back later to speak with my DH.  I texted my DH and asked him to call me ASAP.  He is not allowed to use his cell at work, so I have to wait until he is on free time.

No how, no way are we giving him $5000.  My DH is weaker than I am and he has a soft spot for people that I do not.  Both this guy and his wife work, both make good money and they live high and beyond their means, IMO.

Now I have to wait for my DH to either call me or get home.  I hope he is not going to consider lending money.   I am also ticked that when I said "No" the friend said he was going to directly ask my DH.  I can't believe the nerve of some people.  We haven't seen this friend and his wife for at least two years. I don't think we will hear from this guy again if we lend him money or not.

Respected Contributor

"Lending $"? More like giving it away. Esp. under the circumstances you outlined.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, be careful, this doesn't sound like a "friend." It sounds more like someone who made a choice and is in a jam calling acquaintences (you haven't seen him in quite a while). Evidently, his close friends have already turned him down.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lending money

[ Edited ]

Money and the need for it will make people do and say strange things, never a good idea to lend it to anyone!! Unless, of course, you dont ever want to see it again!!

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like he needs...money for Bail

Respected Contributor

Re: Lending money

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  You were foolish.  You should not have offered any money. If he calls back again to talk to your husband, he should be told to cease and desist immediately.  Your husband should not offer any money.  If the calls continue after that, you may need to talk to a lawyer about legal remedies against him.  This has a very bad odor to it.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie     Judge Judy says if you can't afford to give money to someone don't loan it to them. Chances are you will never see the money again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie 

I think you already know what you need to do and you have done it.

You were kind to offer the $200, and the fact that he declined says it all.

If you lend him anything, it will likely never be repaid.

Hoping your DH stands strong against this kind of "friendship." 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Like many referred upthread,

the word 'lend' only works when you sign official paperwork. 
like a Bank with recourse.

Anything other than that?  
Gift.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000   I would give anyone, friend, family and even some strangers  who needed money what I could afford to lose.  I was willing to give $200, no payback expected.

Oh, my DH isn't going to give him anything, or he will be moving in with him and since the guy refused my kind offer of $200, he's not getting a dime.