Honored Contributor

Re: Legal question(divorce)

[ Edited ]

Here's one you may not heard of. 

Woman married ten years goes through husband's briefcase and finds his new will which eliminates her from getting any part of his business and leaves the business to his son 100%.  She becomes infuriated.

Woman goes to attorney immediately to contest the will and get a divorce.  She wins on the will end and gets a $300,000 settlement, but does not divorce.  The initial will granting her 50% of the business is validated.  She stays with him several more years.  He agreed to this, heaven knows why.

They move to another state.  She then starts up an affair with an old boyfriend.  Husband finds out and moves back to original state.  She then moves the boyfriend and all of his belongings and his dog into the marital home, which she loves.  She then goes to an attorney and finds out in that state whoever commits adultery gets nothing from the marriage.

She panics and immediately moves back to the original state and files for divorce again using a different attorney and quickly (within 48 hours) moves in with a longtime friend.  She then urgently changes all legal docs including license, voting registration, etc. back to the original state.  All of her boyfriend's belongings remain in the marital home as they can find nowhere to put them.  Husband goes down and records everything on tape.  Tape is shown in court and somehow becomes a moot point.

To make a very long and tawdry story short, the husband has cancer and does not pick a good attorney.  She gets "friends" to lie for her that she's been living in the original state for a year (needed for legal occupancy).  One of them even flew out from CA for the trial.  The woman winds up able to "prove" she had been living in the original state (her attorney was the best in the county) for a year.  Everything was a lie.

She was awarded $1.3 million dollars from the husband's business and they were divorced.  He died six months later from cancer. 

She is now very wealthy (invested well), owns three homes, and is hale, healthy and very happy.  End of story. 

[She often complains that she should have received twice what the court granted in settlement because her husband was so "mean."]

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree  You should write a screenplay of that & submit it to the Lifetime Movie Channel

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin

I knew I would get responses like this.  The story is 100% true, I lived it.  I wrote about this at the time it happened but it was one of the thousands of my posts that had been deleted when the new BB was created.

She had a lot of money already.  She paid the lawyers a lot.  This happened. 

But you are right . . . it's unbelievable.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree  Oh, I believe you alright.  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin

If I wrote everything that happened during that year, it would be a book.  Believe me, money can make anything happen.

Although very involved in this drama, I was deemed by her attorneys as "not believable" when my turn came to help prove her lie.  That's why she had to fly a friend in from CA.

I have never been a good liar.  I was relieved.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Divisible Property

Generally, the court has the authority to divide assets acquired during the marriage -- marital assets -- but not assets acquired before marriage or by gift or inheritance. These are considered the separate property of the spouse who acquired them. Marital property may include real estate, vehicles, bank accounts, investment accounts, certain life insurance policies, household furnishings and other personal property. Marital property may also include IRAs, pension plans and 401(k) plans.

New Jersey is an Equitable Distribution State and the above applies in most cases.  Still, talk to a lawyer, always.

As long as the gift or inheritance is not co-mingled in a joint account.  Once it's put into a joint account the receiver of the gift or interitance can't turn around and say it was theirs and they want it back.  They're s.o.l.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Divisible Property

Generally, the court has the authority to divide assets acquired during the marriage -- marital assets -- but not assets acquired before marriage or by gift or inheritance. These are considered the separate property of the spouse who acquired them. Marital property may include real estate, vehicles, bank accounts, investment accounts, certain life insurance policies, household furnishings and other personal property. Marital property may also include IRAs, pension plans and 401(k) plans.

New Jersey is an Equitable Distribution State and the above applies in most cases.  Still, talk to a lawyer, always.

As long as the gift or inheritance is not co-mingled in a joint account.  Once it's put into a joint account the receiver of the gift or interitance can't turn around and say it was theirs and they want it back.  They're s.o.l.

Yep, Yep, Yep!!!!

*Call Tyrone*