Respected Contributor

Re: Learning correct English

Happy New Years is the one that makes me crazy...we only have one year we are celebrating. Happy New Year!!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 

I did very well in all forms of my English classes. What I am not is one that has much interest in how anyone forms a sentence or uses words. If I understand  what they are saying in their writing or vocal vocabulary, they are not judged by this high school dropout.

I realize to some this is very bothersome,  to me?  As long as I understand what they are saying, I say, Ehhh!!!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

It's about the language, not the person who may use it incorrectly.

Honored Contributor

Image result for yes english can be weird message to post on forum

Respected Contributor

Drives me crazy when I hear someone say...'you welcome' instead of 'you're welcome.'

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@suzyQ3   As I read your post, I realized I made a grammar error.  I said “none of us are perfect”.  

Then your post came up and you said “none of us is perfect”.  Yours is correct, and I knew that.  It’s just one of those things some of us imperfect people do, at times!  

@september, the old-school way is always to use a singular verb following a "none" phrase, but modern standards accept a plural verb if the if the word in the phrase is plural.

This means that since the word "us" is plural, your version is perfectly acceptable. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

How far back in time could you go and still understand English?Woman LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxy6ZaMOq8

Reading Shakespeare=foreign language to me.   Had to use the Cliff Notes in High School.  Now, kids can get the translation, online.  

@september, I took two quarters of Shakespeare and was saved by going to our audio lab. Not only could I understand it but also could feel the drama so much more.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It's about the language, not the person who may use it incorrectly.

@YorkieonmyPillow, tell that to the person who is humiliated by the criticism.

Even as a teacher in this field, I found very effective ways of teaching the rules without diminishing a person.

Honored Contributor

@Juniper2 wrote:

What is the point of some of us learning to speak English correctly when the requirement to speak English at all in the US is diminishing?  English may just go the way of cursive writing.

@Juniper2, thankfully, there has never been such a requirement. Any country that forces all their citizens to speak one language is not a country in which I would ever want to reside.

Esteemed Contributor

A person learns what is incorrect in the process of learning what is correct. That's how people learn things....