Honored Contributor

Re: Learning correct English

@Free2be wrote:

I make mistakes typing when I am tired or when I'm typing faster than my brain is keeping up with my fingers, never because I'm stupid.  Some days I am sharper than others and notice more errors.  I forgive myself.  I notice mistakes others make, too.  Sometimes I cringe and wonder if the person got past 6th grade but what's the point of taking every error-maker to task or wearing that t-shirt?  If they have not learned by now I don't need to embarrass anyone, I'm embarrassed for them and for myself when I see my own mistakes. 

I'd be embarrassed for anyone who wears that shirt.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1  Ever heard of "shoulda, woulda. coulda"?  You've got too much time on your hands.  

Honored Contributor

I'm like Judge Judy. When starting a sentence with the word "basically" just means you are lying. Drives me crazy!

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of these days, I'd love to write a book titled, "It's OK to Say the Word ME."  Most people tend to use the word MYSELF when they should be using ME.  They say,   "Give the report to Mary or myself."  

Honored Contributor

"Would of" instead of "would have" absolutely drives me crazy.  I know many would say it's ridiculous to be critical of something like that, but when you use correct grammer it stands out like a sore thumb.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My dad taught English/Literature/History in middle school for 25 years.  He taught English & Lit in high school for 30 years.  I grew up learning correct spelling and pronunciation - as taught in this part of the country - but there are a lot of dialects in the US with varying pronunciations.  I worked with people all over the US and many from other countries.  I prefer to listen to the person rather than critique their words.

Honored Contributor

As a retired speech therapist I was actually present during the evolution from structured specific grammar to the speaking style of the present.

I am also old enough to have been taught “thou” as an acceptable alternate to “you” in 2nd person singular.

I miss beautiful, highly structured, rule influenced spoken and written English, but after classroom sharing with a very bright woman who had an advanced degree in linguistics I became aware of the shifting balance between structure and semantics.

I still wince, but I’ve learned to judge far less than previously.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

Some of us notice mistakes, but don’t feel we need to point them out.  

Unless it’s me who made the mistake, and I did that once on this thread, already.  Man Wink

@september 

EVERY. SINGLE.DAY

written and spoken.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  I think that graduated college phrase, might be regional. Everyone in my state says from. I have noticed, when I hear it said the way you wrote it, it is often the way certain areas of this country speak

We never say store bought, here. We always say boughten. It is correct , but not used in most areas

Language is fluid,It always has been, and probably always will be

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

You've got a point.  The figure of speech that bothers me is when people say, "These ones here...."  These ones?  For some reason that just grinds my grits.  Cat Very Happy

@jellyBEAN THAT ONE is like nails on a chalk board to me!