Occasional Contributor

Re: Learning correct English

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

I sometimes find myself reading a sentence two (to, too) or three times before it makes sense to me because of bad English/bad spelling/etc.  My pet peeve has even made it into commercials and newscasts, so I guess there's no going back.  It's the use of the word "less" when the word "fewer" is more appropriate.  

O.M.G.  ^^^^ "Less" vs. "fewer" Smiley LOL  My pet peeve is the oft excluded Oxford comma.  It drives me NUTS when it's not used!!!

I need it for my sanity.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@njwc wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I sometimes find myself reading a sentence two (to, too) or three times before it makes sense to me because of bad English/bad spelling/etc.  My pet peeve has even made it into commercials and newscasts, so I guess there's no going back.  It's the use of the word "less" when the word "fewer" is more appropriate.  

O.M.G.  ^^^^ "Less" vs. "fewer" Smiley LOL  My pet peeve is the oft excluded Oxford comma.  It drives me NUTS when it's not used!!!

I need it for my sanity.Smiley Very Happy

@njwc, do you mean the don't eat grandma comma?  Yeah, I use it too.  I do admit to having difficulty with who vs whom though.

Honored Contributor

Anyone who says "learning correct English" should consider going back to school because that is incredibly poor grammar.  The correct way to phrase it is  "learning to speak English properly".    

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Anyone who says "learning correct English" should consider going back to school because that is incredibly poor grammar.  The correct way to phrase it is  "learning to speak English properly".    

@chrystaltree  Think you and I are the only two to have noticed that one. It stood out like a sore thumb! So pleased you also caught it. Thanks for posting it just before I had read all of the other comments. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Some of us notice mistakes, but don’t feel we need to point them out.  

Unless it’s me who made the mistake, and I did that once on this thread, already.  Man Wink

Respected Contributor

I make mistakes typing when I am tired or when I'm typing faster than my brain is keeping up with my fingers, never because I'm stupid.  Some days I am sharper than others and notice more errors.  I forgive myself.  I notice mistakes others make, too.  Sometimes I cringe and wonder if the person got past 6th grade but what's the point of taking every error-maker to task or wearing that t-shirt?  If they have not learned by now I don't need to embarrass anyone, I'm embarrassed for them and for myself when I see my own mistakes. 

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

How far back in time could you go and still understand English?Woman LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxy6ZaMOq8

Reading Shakespeare=foreign language to me.   Had to use the Cliff Notes in High School.  Now, kids can get the translation, online.  

Esteemed Contributor

@njwc 

Thank you for mentioning the Oxford comma.

I never heard of it, so Googled it right away.

Well, well ... I use that!!   Never knew it had it's own name. Appreciate learning something new. ☺

Honored Contributor

This is the one that gets me now:  these ones.    A lot of people use these together too!!!

Contributor

What is the point of some of us learning to speak English correctly when the requirement to speak English at all in the US is diminishing?  English may just go the way of cursive writing.