Honored Contributor

We live in a condo that has a laundry room although our unit has a washer and dryer which was a must before we purchased it.  Once a year I take my quilt to the building's laundry room to wash it in their big washer and dryer.

Last year the cost for the wash was $3.00 and the dryer was 25 cents for 8 minutes.

Just did my blanket today.  Cost of wash was $5.25 and the same for the dryer!!!!  

I was astounded.  Has anyone that takes their laundry to a laundromat seen big prices increases?  More than ever I'm glad I insisted on my own w/d!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

$5? Seriously?

Try the professional laundry/dry cleaners. Last time I took a cotton King comforter in to be laundered it was $32.

Respected Contributor

i think you got off easy.  when i go to the laundromat to wash our winter comforter, the  xl washer is $6, and 25 to dry for i think about 8 minutes. been that much for awhile

Super Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

We live in a condo that has a laundry room although our unit has a washer and dryer which was a must before we purchased it.  Once a year I take my quilt to the building's laundry room to wash it in their big washer and dryer.

Last year the cost for the wash was $3.00 and the dryer was 25 cents for 8 minutes.

Just did my blanket today.  Cost of wash was $5.25 and the same for the dryer!!!!  

I was astounded.  Has anyone that takes their laundry to a laundromat seen big prices increases?  More than ever I'm glad I insisted on my own w/d!!!!

you got off cheap, be glad that's all it was.

Honored Contributor

The laundromat in your building & your neighborhood laundromat are 2 different things - like apple & oranges.

The vendor of your building laundromat controls the cost of the washing & drying.

The owner of neighborhood laundromats controls the cost of the washing & drying as well as the vendor of the machines.  Each state and/or city is different - varying laws.

In South Jersey/Camden Co.

Apts/Condo laundromats:  Wash & Dry = $1.25-$2.00 ea (dryers last 1 hr).

Neighborhood laundromats - Prices are the same as above.

The machines that handle large items like throw rugs, blanket, comforters, etc cost a little more - $5 wash - $3 dry/hr

In my building each floor has a HUGE machine that will handle comforters, etc at a cost of $4 to wash.  Our dryers are huge, so we only pay $1.25 for larger items.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Maestra1 @kittyloo @Snowpuppy   I guess I was just stunned that it increased so much in one year.  Thanks for reassuring me that I am getting a "bargain."

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I, too, took my large comforter to the laundromat to use a large size washer.  $6.25!   Glad I brought lots  of quarters . . . this particular place stil uses coins.  That is 25 quarters!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Recent price check to have a king size bedspread laundered, $39.

Respected Contributor

My cousin who goes to the laundromat weekly told me that the large washers that were $6 are now $10. 

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Recent price check to have a king size bedspread laundered, $39.

Was that the price for someone else to do it, or did you do it yourself at a laundromat?  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York