Esteemed Contributor

@tishkins wrote:

We have one in our bedroom. Won't get rid of it. If something happens with the new technology( (cell phone ) we can still contact people. My daughter's still have at least one in their homes. Now the definition of land line means the phone is plug into a Jack and you cannot walk away from receiver.  Portables are not land lines because if electricity goes out so do they..Some old things should stay and are better.

My Panasonic handhelds work when the power goes out as long as the base unit has a rechargeable battery in it.  If there is no battery in the base unit it only works as a phone but none of  the features are active nor are the handheld units.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I have had a land line for 48 yrs. 

I am not a liker of cell phones. Yes I do carry a cell but it for emergencies only.  My thought is, if you need to speak with anyone do it at home, not in stores, restaurants, elevators , grocery stores and what ever places.

Honored Contributor

No land line for me since @ 2005.

Don’t miss it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

A few years ago, I went from two land lines to one and cut out the long distance plan.  I pay a bit under $50/ month, or less than $300/ year.  It's worth it for all of the reasons already mentioned. 

I use my cell phone for outgoing long distance calls 

Honored Contributor

I also still have a landline.  The one in my office is actually corded because it is easier to talk on phone and type on keyboard with an old fashioned receiver that you can squish between your shoulder and ear!  I also have a cell phone but it resides in my purse.  

Honored Contributor

We still use one, I believe that portion allotted for service is approximately $15 per month.  I still find having a landline useful and as long as the price is low, I'll continue to have one.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a land line and always will as long as they exist! Its more dependable than cellphones. Also I have a prepaid smart phone tracfone, that's only on when I use it. AND my husband hates cellphones and does not want one. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I still have my landline and don't plan to get rid of it.  I'm home a lot and use it to make and receive calls, rather than using my cell phone, which I take with me when I am out and about.

I talked to a friend the other day and she told me that her cable and phone (a bundle) went out, so she did not have a phone at all.  She did not have a landline. 

Respected Contributor

I don't like the lack of sound quality at times on cell phones and hardly use mine. I understand people cutting the cord, but I don't plan to. My brother did cut the cord, but his calls were garbled at times. We all complained. He has a land line again!

Respected Contributor

p.s. To comment I just wrote: ours is a three-level house. It would be inconvenient to have to carry the cell phone around all day long when I can just st answer the landline on extensions in every room.