Esteemed Contributor
You realize that in the wild, they take a piece of food away from the source to prevent others from stealing it from them. They have to fight to get that meal, not play with it and leave it all around.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor
On 3/15/2015 gardenman said:

I'm pretty sure you'll find this is just a natural behavior in bigger dogs. They just like to take their food where they want to eat it rather than eat it where you put it. It's nothing to be alarmed about.

I sometimes think you could post here that your dog wagged it's tail at you this morning and posters would pop up warning you to take it to the vet to get it checked out. I don't know if we have a lot of vets, vet techs, or what on the forums, but a whole lot of posters are either trying to drive business to vets, or are very, very frequent customers of their vets.

In this case, it's a pretty typical behavior in bigger dogs and is in no way a medical issue. If you ever watch nature documentaries you'll see wolves, coyotes, hyenas, etc. tear off a piece of the food and then run a ways away before eating it. That's essentially what your dog is doing. If you're lucky he'll be very good at cleaning it up, but in our case lots of little pieces would be left behind that made for noisy vacuuming but caused little trouble other than that.

Thanks, gardenman--I appreciate your input and agree wholeheartedly. It's always interesting when posting on these boards! My intention for this thread was to obtain others' thoughts as well as share a bit of the humor in it, not to look for problems or make a bit deal out of nothing. Thank you again, and best wishes for a good remainder of the weekend!

Esteemed Contributor
I agree to that it is just because they want to be where you are. When our puppy does it she is in the kitchen eating and we were are in the living room. It's kind of funny but I can imagine with a big lab it could get messy. Those labs are crazy dogs sometimes.
Super Contributor
On 3/15/2015 ccassaday said: I agree to that it is just because they want to be where you are. When our puppy does it she is in the kitchen eating and we were are in the living room. It's kind of funny but I can imagine with a big lab it could get messy. Those labs are crazy dogs sometimes.

Thanks, ccassaday--I appreciate your input! (Chloe is adorable! I saw your video on another thread!) Yes, indeed, those labs are crazy dogs....most of the time! LOL! Wouldn't trade her for anything! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor
My sister has a 100lb chocolate lab and he is crazy. He will eat anything. Every time he does something crazy we call it the adventures of big chocolate.