Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I live here and have been flooded in for 5 days. Today the water finally drained off in my area. I heard on the news today that they were evacuating people from one area and fake police were going around knocking on doors telling people to evacuate so they could then loot their homes after they left. 

I try not focus on those stories but the regular people who are out there saving strangers. It shows the best in people. Of course there will always be bad people and I hope all those people get caught and punished harshly. 

@Lali1 Stay safe!!  Glad to read the water finally drained off in your area.

Honored Contributor

Re: LOOTING IN HOUSTON

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

Geez, what's up with people attacking the OP or the act of bringing up this problem?

It has been downplayed by the media up to this point, and there has been much more 'people helping people' going on and reported than any other disaster we've seen in the media in the past, but the fact remains that this is bound to happen, and as others have noted, will increase as the water recedes.

It is not 'the least of their worries' as if it isn't curbed early, it could easily become another Katrina aftermath, or worse. If it isn't reported, and if it isn't stopped, it will spread like wildfire, and make an already unfathomable situation even worse.

@Mominohio  Thank-You.  I did not start this Thread to just bring up more bad news... it is just part of the whole circumstance of disasters.  As the waters recede more and more of this type of scum will come out of the woodwork to steal and plunder what they can.

I noticed on much of the news footage, people  flooded out of their homes mentioned putting all their valuables up high in their homes... the kind of info you do not want to say on national TV. ..... but it was broadcast to all out there waiting to take advantage of the situation.  

Another issue that will come up months down the road will be used cars on the market sold  that were flood buried cars bought up cheap at car  auctions and sold to car dealers and sold  to unexpecting innocent car buyers..... That always happens with these flood disasters... I would not buy a used car for well into the next several years from a used car dealer.

Honored Contributor

How disgusting to be stealing during this disaster.  Shame on you.   Cat Mad

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Geez, what's up with people attacking the OP or the act of bringing up this problem?

It has been downplayed by the media up to this point, and there has been much more 'people helping people' going on and reported than any other disaster we've seen in the media in the past, but the fact remains that this is bound to happen, and as others have noted, will increase as the water recedes.

It is not 'the least of their worries' as if it isn't curbed early, it could easily become another Katrina aftermath, or worse. If it isn't reported, and if it isn't stopped, it will spread like wildfire, and make an already unfathomable situation even worse.

@Mominohio  Thank-You.  I did not start this Thread to just bring up more bad news... it is just part of the whole circumstance of disasters.  As the waters recede more and more of this type of scum will come out of the woodwork to steal and plunder what they can.

I noticed on much of the news footage, people  flooded out of their homes mentioned putting all their valuables up high in their homes... the kind of info you do not want to say on national TV. ..... but it was broadcast to all out there waiting to take advantage of the situation.  

Another issue that will come up months down the road will be used cars on the market sold  that were flood buried cars bought up cheap at car  auctions and sold to car dealers and sold  to unexpecting innocent car buyers..... That always happens with these flood disasters... I would not buy a used car for well into the next several years from a used car dealer.

@SeaMaiden  It wasn't your topic, it was your source which read like a word salad without any dressing. 

Not to mention the Cajun Navy being fired upon-not true.

There are local sources more reliable than this one.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  Point taken✋️

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden, we were in our house-Ground Zero-for Charley. Night was the worst, but thankfully, the National Guard was here....

It did not deteriorate here and I have to say, watching this coverage warms my heart....it's horrible what's happening, but the stories of strangers stepping in to help-communities banning together-is just overwhelming.

The bad guys will always be with us. Nothing we can do about it.

On the bright side, this event is not deteriorating into Katrina.....they are just glad to be alive and have basic needs met. I am hoping it stays that way for awhile. This is not going to be easy to recover from for a very, very long time.

Here, there was a shortage of housing: we are a small area that was hit.....I can't even imagine how FEMA is going to deal with this.....so many displaced-homes uninhabitable, vehicles gone...successful businesses that supported families-gone.....

Kumbaya.....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden, we were in our house-Ground Zero-for Charley. Night was the worst, but thankfully, the National Guard was here....

It did not deteriorate here and I have to say, watching this coverage warms my heart....it's horrible what's happening, but the stories of strangers stepping in to help-communities banning together-is just overwhelming.

The bad guys will always be with us. Nothing we can do about it.

On the bright side, this event is not deteriorating into Katrina.....they are just glad to be alive and have basic needs met. I am hoping it stays that way for awhile. This is not going to be easy to recover from for a very, very long time.

Here, there was a shortage of housing: we are a small area that was hit.....I can't even imagine how FEMA is going to deal with this.....so many displaced-homes uninhabitable, vehicles gone...successful businesses that supported families-gone.....

Kumbaya.....

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  It must be so hard. I pray that the help offered in these early days  continues to grow with the months and years ahead of rebuilding  and it is not just political jabber....they need to put the money where their mouth is and get  the area cleaned up and functioning again... people back to work and back to their lives. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I think the hardest part of all this is going to be rebuilding-everything.....the oil industry can't shut down: I think they will help employees. In the immediate future, housing has to be found for all of those who do that.....

I am a realist: I think this situation will affect us as a nation for a very long time.....

But, letting us be optimistic! We are going to have hard times ahead....we all need to help each other.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

The people in that area are the ones that will have very hard times, don't compare to the rest of our country. I  don't know how in the world so many are going to deal with this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

All of the homes that had water inside will have to be torn down and everything will have to be trashed.

Everything.

Not everyone has flood insurance, and homeowners insurance doesn't cover flood damage.

Not everyone will qualify for government assistance, and even if they do, it won't cover everything.

Plus, they won't get checks right away.

A lot of people will go in to debt and/or have to go in to their savings in order to rebuild.

That is truly sad.