Valued Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

If you want or need sharp knives, you drive to a store and buy them. People did this all the time before online ordering so, no big deal.

Steak knives are not found in public eateries. Scissors are not found in schools, btw. There is a movement to bring back "dangerous play" at schools and playgrounds (climbing trees, building with planks and bricks, etc) to counteract all the safety measures the UK took over the years.

Bottom line: if a person wants to harm someone, they WILL find a way. Anything can be made into a deadly object with the intent to harm. Anything.

I was just wondering how I could make my cat's spongey soccer ball toys (as I was just tossing him several) into deadly objects.

I don't think I could.  And my toothbrush which I just used, nope, not that either. 

So, no, not anything.  And that's just 2 items I came in contact with in the past 20 minutes.

@QueenDanceALot There are instructions online on how to make a knife out of your toothbrush. Cross toothbrush off. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

If you want or need sharp knives, you drive to a store and buy them. People did this all the time before online ordering so, no big deal.

Steak knives are not found in public eateries. Scissors are not found in schools, btw. There is a movement to bring back "dangerous play" at schools and playgrounds (climbing trees, building with planks and bricks, etc) to counteract all the safety measures the UK took over the years.

Bottom line: if a person wants to harm someone, they WILL find a way. Anything can be made into a deadly object with the intent to harm. Anything.

I was just wondering how I could make my cat's spongey soccer ball toys (as I was just tossing him several) into deadly objects.

I don't think I could.  And my toothbrush which I just used, nope, not that either. 

So, no, not anything.  And that's just 2 items I came in contact with in the past 20 minutes.

@QueenDanceALot  Do you really want me to tell you how they could be used? Because it took only seconds for me to figure it out. Then again, I was trained that way once upon a time. 

The average, decent person doesn't think that way. Someone who wants to hurt you? Oh yeah, they'll figure it out. Trust me.

Oh, please, tell me.  How would you kill people en masse with cat toy soccer balls?

I'm no stranger to violence, so don't feel you have to protect my innocent and tender sensibilities.

@QueenDanceALot You know, sarcasm and being a smart-butt only goes so far with me in a conversation. As far as I'm concerned, the one with you has ended. It's telling that you take something so serious as a joke....

I can see how they could really hurt someone, but not a mass murder.

@SahmIam

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot There are instructions online on how to make a knife out of your toothbrush. Cross toothbrush off. 

@SandPiper

When I hear of a mass murder with toothbrushes converted to knives I'll cross it off.

I continue to find the comparison of things like this to guns to be absurd.

Trusted Contributor

The article that I read said it was about banning the sale of knives on the internet and acid for those under 18.  It said that if you are stopped and found with acid or knives, you had to have a specific, good reason for having them on you.  It doesn't seem to effect taking your knives to get sharpened or carrying them home from the store.  It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  Laws always have exceptions.  In my state, you can't buy Claritin D unless you have a valid driver's license in my state.  If you're visiting, you need a prescription.  You can't buy heroin or cocaine in a pharmacy, either.  For me, I think it's good to have laws which have stipulations for buying dangerous items.  It's the people who don't want any restrictions that worry me.  

Respected Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

The article that I read said it was about banning the sale of knives on the internet and acid for those under 18.  It said that if you are stopped and found with acid or knives, you had to have a specific, good reason for having them on you.  It doesn't seem to effect taking your knives to get sharpened or carrying them home from the store.  It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  Laws always have exceptions.  In my state, you can't buy Claritin D unless you have a valid driver's license in my state.  If you're visiting, you need a prescription.  You can't buy heroin or cocaine in a pharmacy, either.  For me, I think it's good to have laws which have stipulations for buying dangerous items.  It's the people who don't want any restrictions that worry me.  

Mayor Khan said 

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law. "

Sounds pretty definite to me.  How do you interpret that as - well there are "some good reasons."

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

Mayor Khan said 

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law. "

Sounds pretty definite to me.  How do you interpret that as - well there are "some good reasons."

@Isobel Archer Written laws are pages long.  There has to be stipulations so a little old lady walking home with a set of steak knives and a receipt from Walmart doesn't get arrested.  To assume otherwise is downright stupid.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@SahmIam, I think that this is worded in a very slanted way, and I highly doubt that we will return to the wild, wild west in terms of children's playgrounds.

The  ground material for playgrounds have been updated, along with the equipment. Our neighborhood park's children's area have been newly renoved with safety and enjoyment in mind, and it crowded every weekend and often during the week. It looks much more fun than the old-fashioned ones.

Let's not rely on the mindset that because we survived certain dangers, they weren't dangerous. Not everyone survived unscathed. If children can have fun in a safer environment, that's a win-win in my book.

@suzyQ3  No, that's how the UK article stated it. I'll search for it. I'm talking about UK playgrounds and a movement in place there, not here, btw. Personally, seeing a young child about to jump on a plank that has the other side loaded with bricks made me see red but hey, that's just me (this was on the school grounds and encouraged by the teacher). 

@SahmIam, oh, I figured that you were paraphrasing. I didn't assume that what I saw as a slant was yours.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

Mayor Khan said 

@Isobel Archer Written laws are pages long.  There has to be stipulations so a little old lady walking home with a set of steak knives and a receipt from Walmart doesn't get arrested.  To assume otherwise is downright stupid.

So then you're saying the Mayor was just being "hysterical?"

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

Mayor Khan said 

So then you're saying the Mayor was just being "hysterical?"

@Isobel Archer I cannot speak to the mental state of the mayor.  

Honored Contributor

There's no way that knives can be outlawed.  No way.

I just saw the headlines this weekend of a mother who killed her little 7 year old son with a kitchen knife. 

She didn't just stab him, she did the most heinous of all.  Can't even type it.

I someone wants to kill, they will use their bare hands if that's all they have.