Esteemed Contributor
I'm wondering why the OP had to mention that the rest of the house is a mess.

Oh, never mind. It sounds pretty clear that it's not the tree she has a problem with.
Honored Contributor

The OP is a guy ,and has always been a  very nice poster

Honored Contributor

mine will be up until sometime through the second week of january.

we put it up two days after christmas. it looks too good to take down. i want to enjoy it longer. we also have company coming on and off and i want it to look festive in the house while they are visiting.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

If I decorate, it's staying up for six weeks.  Of course I wouldn't go with a live tree, but I adore the ornaments I've collected all my life.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor

Re: Just wondering why?

[ Edited ]

@sweetee2 wrote:

We went over to our son and DIL  Monday  and all her Christmas  decorations  are already  taken  down.  The grandkids  are upset  by this and I  was wondering  why if you take your decorations  down already and Why? The rest of their home is a mess so it wasn't to keep it clean.

Hello sweetee2 Smiley Happy

Have you asked your son?

I want to tell you something.  We, as in-laws and grandparents, are blessed.  We get to share and to participate in others' lives.  As grandparents, we are given a great gift.  

IMO, we get to share and to enjoy our grandchildren's lives.  If the kids confide in us that something's bothering them, then we have a duty to investigate and to act.  But NOT at the expense of parents' autonomy.

Listen, I was ultimate mommy softie.  When my firstborn squealed and squawked that we were discarding the Tree, I compromised.  Bought a 3 ft artificial tree, decorated it for MLK Day, Valentine's Day, St Patrick's,  Easter, Flag Day, Fourth of July etc etc.  It was fun and educational yes.  Would my kids have died without my empathy?  I don't think so.

Let your son and his wife raise their kids as they see fit.  God forbid, you should see abuse or neglect.  Then, ACT!  Otherwise, let them be.  It's THEIR TURN!  For better or worse. May God bless them.

May the new year be blessed and healthy for your family. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201, I have never done decorations, living alone and until recently never feeling very merry at Xmas. But I have always thought that if I won the Lotto, I would have professionals do my house for Xmas inside and out and I would thoroughly enjoy that :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Christmas cards were our only decorations this year. We have an inquisitive puppy and we chose not to have to reset up a lot of decorations. Next year we can give it a shot. This has shown us though, less is better at this stage of life. We may be downsizing even more. Physically it is more of a task to put up and down.

Our hearts are still all decorated for the season though!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I will probably take ours down over the weekend or early into the week.

As much as I like having it up, everything starts to look tired and needs to be put away.  Also as another poster mentioned, it's time to get rid of the dust!

Honored Contributor

Mine are down.  I actuallly started putting them away (or, more accurately, switching "Christmas" decorations for "winter" decorations) Christmas Day evening.  I had the time and the energy.

I took my outside lights down yesterday afternoon because it was sunny and warm and I wanted to take advantage of that opportunity vs taking them down when it's freezing cold and windy.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I took my tree down before Christmas one year because I put it up too early and I was sick of it.  I love Christmas, but I get tired of my furniture being all moved around and things out of place.

I now know I have a 10 day window, so I make sure not to put it up too early now.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN