Respected Contributor

Question About Dual Citizenship

Next door neighbor has a question - would take hours of wait time to get thru to Feds.

She has a great nephew who is having a baby with a young woman who has dual citizenship. They are not yet married, but plan to be after the baby comes.  Her qestion - will the baby have dual citizenship also.  I honestly don't even know where to look for this information. (Note:  She is handicapped and cannot look for info herself.)

Respected Contributor

Re: Question About Dual Citizenship

NO!

Trusted Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Next door neighbor has a question - would take hours of wait time to get thru to Feds.

She has a great nephew who is having a baby with a young woman who has dual citizenship. They are not yet married, but plan to be after the baby comes.  Her qestion - will the baby have dual citizenship also.  I honestly don't even know where to look for this information. (Note:  She is handicapped and cannot look for info herself.)

No. Since the baby will be born here in the U.S. he/she will be considered an American citizen.

Honored Contributor

Huh?  Yeah, I'm doubting that the situation really exists...lol   Duhh....since the baby will be born here, the child will be a US citizen.   As for dual citizenship re the country the mother is from, that's not up to the US.  That's up to the country in question.  Why would anyone need to look it up....it's common sense,.

Respected Contributor

Lovely.

Honored Contributor

No. And not all countries allow dual citizenship.

Esteemed Contributor

Each country sets their own citizenship policies.  If the mother is a U.S. citizen and/or the child is born here s/he would be an American citizen.  It would depend on the mother's dual country's policies whether or not the child is also a dual citizen.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

What  country does she come from? There is a listng for  countries that allow dual citizenship. The US is not one, but her  country might be

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Huh?  Yeah, I'm doubting that the situation really exists...lol   Duhh....since the baby will be born here, the child will be a US citizen.   As for dual citizenship re the country the mother is from, that's not up to the US.  That's up to the country in question.  Why would anyone need to look it up....it's common sense,.

Answer me this:  What is wrong about a poster asking a question that they do not know?

Super Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Answer me this:  What is wrong about a poster asking a question that they do not know? 

And what's up with the "Duhh?"