Esteemed Contributor

I lived through WWII and Japenes Americans legally here taken out of their homes, business and schools, also Italians because their country was alliies with the enemy.

Yet today we take everyone illegal 

No matter what nationality, illegal means breaking the law.  I have friends from Germany and Mexico who are legal.  They did what had to be done to get legal.

Yes, this country was founded on immigrants, but I am old enough to remember my grandmother and those few I knew that arrived at Ellis Island.  They had sponsors or arranged marriages, etc.   They were not here illegally.  They could not speak English, but they had to learn.  They had special classes.  It was extremely hard for them. Nothing was in their native tongue.  I helped my Italian Grandmother with her questions when she was ready to get her citizenship status.

There is a big difference between the immigrants of the early century and today coming in to this country. I could go on with the Vietnamese immigrants, but enough of the history lesson. 

Respected Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I believe our country has given refuge to people who have assisted us in the wars over the past 14 years so they would not be killed by our enemies. As it should be. 

IMO - it is unfortunate that this has been turned into a political football, and that is all I'm going to say.

Could be true but their vetting process has produced people who have caused violence and death here at home.    If they had not come many would still be sleeping peacefully in their beds tonight.

WRONG

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/20/us/why-it-takes-two-years-for-syrian-refugees-to-apply...

I am talking the vetting process, not the syrians.   Boston bombers were refugees.

No they weren't.

An earlier version of this story incorrectly said the Tsarnaevs had received refugee status. The parents of the Tsarnaev brothers reached the United States on tourist visas and applied for asylum. To get asylum, an applicant must meet the definition of a refugee, but unlike a refugee he or she has already reached the United States and is subject to a different application process. After the Tsarnaevs obtained asylee status, they successfully applied for derivative asylee status for their children. The story has been corrected.

Respected Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I believe our country has given refuge to people who have assisted us in the wars over the past 14 years so they would not be killed by our enemies. As it should be. 

IMO - it is unfortunate that this has been turned into a political football, and that is all I'm going to say.

Could be true but their vetting process has produced people who have caused violence and death here at home.    If they had not come many would still be sleeping peacefully in their beds tonight.

WRONG

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/20/us/why-it-takes-two-years-for-syrian-refugees-to-apply...

I am talking the vetting process, not the syrians.   Boston bombers were refugees.

No they weren't.

An earlier version of this story incorrectly said the Tsarnaevs had received refugee status. The parents of the Tsarnaev brothers reached the United States on tourist visas and applied for asylum. To get asylum, an applicant must meet the definition of a refugee, but unlike a refugee he or she has already reached the United States and is subject to a different application process. After the Tsarnaevs obtained asylee status, they successfully applied for derivative asylee status for their children. The story has been corrected.

Potato, Potatoe.....

Respected Contributor

I don't trust the vetting process of this country, plain and simple.  Regardless of who is in power, I don't think our government can vet thousands of these people sufficiently.  Terrorists are experts in exploiting our weaknesses and we, as a country, are always trying to play catch-up.   Therefore, I feel there should be a moratorium on immigration from this hotbed region.  Only temporarily.  

We've proven time and time again that we are the most compassionate nation on the face of this earth, but it should not be at the expense of our citizens' safety.  It scares me that the politicians just don't seem concerned that U.S. citizens are at risk.  They're too willing to take a chance on the unknown and that scares me.

Being nice to people that don't value our freedoms and way of life will not sway them in our direction.  It just doesn't work that way.  

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

I don't trust the vetting process of this country, plain and simple.  Regardless of who is in power, I don't think our government can vet thousands of these people sufficiently.  Terrorists are experts in exploiting our weaknesses and we, as a country, are always trying to play catch-up.   Therefore, I feel there should be a moratorium on immigration from this hotbed region.  Only temporarily.  

We've proven time and time again that we are the most compassionate nation on the face of this earth, but it should not be at the expense of our citizens' safety.  It scares me that the politicians just don't seem concerned that U.S. citizens are at risk.  They're too willing to take a chance on the unknown and that scares me.

Being nice to people that don't value our freedoms and way of life will not sway them in our direction.  It just doesn't work that way.  

I'm not totally familiar with the vetting process, so could you please tell me what you don't trust, or what you think is missing ?  TIA

Respected Contributor

Here is my opinion:  We have so many homeless and hurting people in this country.  People living below poverty level, children going hungry, living in deplorable conditions.  Why not help our own people right here at home first and then once we get them squared away, THEN we can reach out to other countries' refugees.  It would be as if my own children were starving but I decided to buy dinner for the neighbor's child while my own went without.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Here is my opinion:  We have so many homeless and hurting people in this country.  People living below poverty level, children going hungry, living in deplorable conditions.  Why not help our own people right here at home first and then once we get them squared away, THEN we can reach out to other countries' refugees.  It would be as if my own children were starving but I decided to buy dinner for the neighbor's child while my own went without.

You make a good point, but the truth is that many HAVE been helping our homeless AND our vets, who often cross over.

There are people who will help others and some that just never do.

We can do both.  Many already are doing just that.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Regarding the vetting process - I am an immigrant from London.  My young husband decided to emigrate to Utah to work for his church.  We were very young with a small baby born and bred in London.

We had to have a sponsor with a minimum if $100,000 in the bank - had a minimum of 3 interviews at the American Embassy in London - blood tests, chest x-rays.  Took nearly 7 months for my husband to be cleared and off he went.

I waited another 5 months to be cleared.  When traveling I had to carry big brown envelope In my hand luggage with my chest x rays inside. Must not be packed.

when plane landed in New York announcement was made to de board except any immigrants to remain seated - a military looking gentleman then came on board -and there were about 10 of us still sitting on the plane - asked for our brown envelopes then explained we would be sprayed before being able to get off plane.  Let it be said I was not a happy immigrant and told him what he could do with his spray.  Then attempted to change my ongoing ticket for one back to London.

I was never sprayed, did go on to meet my husband but that was our vetting process!

Respected Contributor

Re: Just heard on cnn

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

You make a good point, but the truth is that many HAVE been helping our homeless AND our vets, who often cross over.

There are people who will help others and some that just never do.

We can do both.  Many already are doing just that.

Noel, our vets have been treated quite shabbily by our governent.  This is not a partisan issue.  There has been plenty of press on the subject over the last few years about how badly they are treated in comparison to illegals.  

There are individuals in this country that are helping vets, but our government has a long way to go before they can claim bragging rights.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

AND yet, NONE of the bums in office asked the Native Americans if it was okay.  I vote NO and so do many of my tribe. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust