Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just curious about Halloween in your area

@RedTop

Please read what I think, now. Posted at the end. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think its ridiculous to fine and especially to jail kids? (are they kidding ?) Most kids quit trick or treating around Jr High. We get approximately 200 trick or treaters in our country development over 2 nights of trick or treating. Only about 15 or so (give or fake some) seem to be high school age when they come here. I give them all candy. I enjoy giving out candy and Halloween is my birthday :-) (but I will be celebrating my bday out on Sunday  w DH and Tues with my DH and kids families at our home where i will greet trick or treaters the 2 nights of trick or treating!  And I love it! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

If it's not raining we get a lot of trick or treaters because we live in an area where houses are close together and the land is flat. So it makes it easy for parents and their kids to go from house to house to get candy. Some of the neighbors go all out and decorate their yards in Halloween themed decor too so it's fun for the kids. I hand out the candy and stand at the bottom of the front landing stairs so the kids don't have to climb stairs in their costumes.

Respected Contributor

I enjoy passing out candy and seeing the costumes.  Some are very creative, others cute.  We sit on the porch to pass candy, We don't have to keep answering the door and little kids don't have to navigate the the couple steps to ring the doorbell and we can see all the activity on the block.  When my grands were young, they lived in the country so they would dress up and come to our house and go around our neighborhood then come back and pass out the candy.  They really liked doing that.

No laws that I know of on age and I do have teens come.  That's OK with me, they enjoy it too and I know these days the candy is a treat they may not  often have at home.  This year they have changed the time from 6 p.m - 7:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.  I don't know the reasoning behind the change, but I don't really like it.  It is too long - we have alot of trick or treaters and spend a good amount on candy and are always out at 7:30.  Don't really want to spend more to cover an extra half hour and by 7:30 I'm ready to be done, come in, put up my feet and relax.

Honored Contributor

The only rules are the time - 4pm to 7pm on Halloween. We give candy to all ages. It's probably going to be less than 40 kids so not a big deal if some teens ring the doorbell.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish they would enforce that in my neck of the woods. I am tired of giving teenagers [big kids ] candy and sometimes the same ones over and over again. My daughter is a teen and she takes a couple of the neighborhood kids and her cousins out for Halloween every year. It got out of hand last year with the bigger kids with the shaving cream and egging homes.Cat Frustrated

Honored Contributor

My community:

6-8pm

Babies and toddlers are out first.

Kids of all ages then begin to appear.

Teens arrive at the very end going on 8ish. To these teens I dump ALL my left over candy, lol. 

Lights out.

We've had adults come to our door decked out in GREAT costumes due to their child being ill. One father I know has a child fighting cancer (support group member). So, you never know when you see a parent but no child.

I keep packets of organic, all fruit juice gummies for the little ones. Most parents are thrilled to have that over the "traditional" candy though sometimes a dad will pipe up and say to their child "pick the Kit Kat. Pick the Kit Kat". I throw one in there because we ALL know who wants the Kit Kat, lol.

Halloween is supposed to be a fun holiday. There are always going to be those who think they know best for everyone and want to ruin it for all. Scrooge isn't just around at Christmas, you know.

Honored Contributor

I live on a country road, no sidewalks or street lights and 10 acres of woods across the street. There is one neighbor up the road.   I have lived in my house-for 32 years --there might have been 20 kids total that came. Too scary and dark for most little ones but I always have some candy, just in case.

Honored Contributor

We live a bit outside of town on a narrow road with no sidewalks or any place to park a car on the street. Most years, no kids. Have only gotten a handful over all the years we've been here. Always have decorations and pumpkins out and some candy. We're happy with this.

Honored Contributor

We have lived in this house for 24 years.We have never had a Treater. Our driveway is 1/4 mile long and I would not allow children to make the long trek up the driveway. Our local Baptist Church does Trunk or Treat.

We always have candy just in case.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man