Honored Contributor

Re: Just curious about Halloween in your area

[ Edited ]

There was a new street cut above us about 15 years ago. 

I live in a restricted neighborhood with a lot of wooded area between houses and I am on the court "side" street!  I don't hear traffic.

I would love to see the kids though!  They go through the newer more flat neighborhood!!!

I don't want to see joy riders.  The teens had their safe turn which all children should have.

Honored Contributor

I live in an area where we don't make laws for things that should be common sense.

Personally, I don't give out candy.

I have a very long driveway and a long staircase to my front door.   I'm afraid one of the little ones might get hurt going up or down in costume.

All the subdivisions (I'm not in one) decorate & hand out candy, you can get candy at the firehouse and every church has a "trunk or treat" in their parking lot.

Age has never been questioned.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No age limit, if dressed up here.(I have given candy to those who haven't)

We have Halloween on 10/31, (some cities change it)

We don't designate hours. (some cities do that too)

Most kids do come between 5-9pm here. (shut off the lights)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would think most kids would not want to go after they turn 13. You are now a teenager & not a "kid". That's how I look at. Your growing up it's time to move on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's no kids in our COA or in homes around us, mostly middle aged adults...so no trick treating in my area but some do decorate their homes for Fall or Halloween....

Now where I used to live there were a lot of kids, but the majority went to Halloween Parties rather than go trick or treating door to door.......But the few that did come I gave candy too regardless of age, I didnt question them on how old they were....I also offered candy to parents that took their kids door to door some were even dressed in costumes.  

I think when I turned 12 that was it for me and my friends and trick or treating......

But I do think thats a bit much to pass an actual law on age limits and impose fines and even jail time...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I live in a house in a typical suburban subdivision.  I've lived here 19 years and have never had a trick or treater.  I think that's very odd.  There are not many children in the neighborhood.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

We live in a community of town homes. There is a small number of kids in the neighborhood. However, we get nearly 500 trick-or-treaters to our home every year. It’s not worth going inside between groups of kids. Those neighbors who are home and who are participating in Halloween end up bringing chairs out to their front porch or driveway and spending the three or four hours socializing. Everyone has their cup of coffee, tea or cocoa, or maybe even an adult beverage may be consumed. 

As as for age limits, I will give candy to any and all who politely present themselves, and say “trick or treat” or “Happy Halloween“ or any other pleasant greeting, regardless of age. I would prefer to see a hard time cut off. We, along with most of the families in our building, shut off our porch lights at 8:00.

Halloween Hugs to all . . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

Not sure if anyone already posted about this in the Community thread.

This morning I was listening to a local radio station. The DJ's got around to what some towns are now doing around the United States.

Some counties, some cities have passed laws to limit ages of trick or treat'ers. Cut off for some of these trick-treat'ers kids is between 10 to 12 yrs old. I forgot to mention: some of these counties-cities are passing laws where above age trick-treat'ers could be fined or jailed. 

the DJ's then got into a discussion about this age cut off.  Is this right for a cut off to be made.  It was quite a lively discussion. It was interesting .  

My children are long grown and have children of their own so it has been many years since I have had youngin's in the house. I don't give out candy any longer, I have a commitment I attend every year on Halloween. So am no longer aware how old or young the kids are in the area where I live.

When my kids were able to trick-treat i let them go out till they decided they were to old to trick-treat. 

So what you all think of age limits for trick-treat'ers

We don't have trick or treaters here, unless its our neices and nephews. Oldest nephew is 17, he will probably be working Halloween night, but I will have a goody bag for him, and send with his mom and younger siblings, its what we do. When we lived in town, we would have a lot of trick or treaters, and I loved it! So fun, it didn't matter to us how old they were.

Much as I hate to admit it, there are things about living in town I really miss. And that is one of them.

Super Contributor

No restrictions in my area.  Kids start coming around 3:30pm I stop opening my door when we sit down to eat dinner.  I uses to have between 85-100 + kids.  I would have my husband go to the store to by more candy.    Now I average 65-70.  Not that many young kids in the neighborhood these days.

Esteemed Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

Not sure if anyone already posted about this in the Community thread.

This morning I was listening to a local radio station. The DJ's got around to what some towns are now doing around the United States.

Some counties, some cities have passed laws to limit ages of trick or treat'ers. Cut off for some of these trick-treat'ers kids is between 10 to 12 yrs old. I forgot to mention: some of these counties-cities are passing laws where above age trick-treat'ers could be fined or jailed. 

the DJ's then got into a discussion about this age cut off.  Is this right for a cut off to be made.  It was quite a lively discussion. It was interesting .  

My children are long grown and have children of their own so it has been many years since I have had youngin's in the house. I don't give out candy any longer, I have a commitment I attend every year on Halloween. So am no longer aware how old or young the kids are in the area where I live.

When my kids were able to trick-treat i let them go out till they decided they were to old to trick-treat. 

So what you all think of age limits for trick-treat'ers

@viva923

It use to be just a simple child's evening being with their friend -house to house for a fun trick or Treat, but now it has become so very Santanic.

I have stopped the goodies three years ago. There are very few children that are living close by, most are from other areas around the ages of 11-13, some;  ( a very few) are little children with their princess dresses on or boys in a Star War costume, or some monster mask. 

Each small child has a parent or guardian waiting for their child, or did 3 years ago., 

I do not, nor do I condone Halloween, anymore.

I learn from the local news each night, hearing the most horrid stories they do to animals which I will never mentioned in case there is someone reading & would be copying the exact thing. TOO horrible, so if anyone has a black cat -KEEP IT IN! I will not mention. Any pet!

There is nothing of any sane maturity about this day, and for those adults going to dress up parties tells me they are the worse coming home on the roadways, actually drunk. 

I hope soon that this, what was once a cute little celebration of 45 minutes, of door to door with giggles and pure innocence will be stopped, soon.

!! I have zero to do with HeLLoween, as I know of it now!!

We live in a very safe area, so safe `` that many are on a wait list to find a house that comes available to live here, but yesterday, a small 6 year old was [[ALMOST]] minutes away from being kidnapped at around 3pm, as he walked from school. ___> THAT was a WAKE UP call for me.

This guy had him until a neighbor screamed.

If this had happened when our little son was young and full of excitement, I would have taken him to a church get together, or something monitored by responsible adults. *This is not -NOT the same world we grew up in, nor for many of the adults, here, with their own children.

THINK! It's very sh'O'cking what has become with the hatred of and evil of people everywhere.  Last night 15 minutes from here, at a well known supermarket, had two people that were shot point blank dead as they were shopping.

Everyone fell to the floor when they heard the shots ring out. I am so close to having my groceries ordered and delivered.

One man ran after this creep's car to catch him, _ even had a gun  approved to wear trying to shoot his car tires, apparently he was a bad shot, ..........but he tried. 

The man is still on the loose.

They have a camera picture and is posted on line if you can ID him.

My husband can not approve, knowing of me being out, or not be at ease knowing of me being out after 5pm anymore, especially if driving miles away and possibly would not be home until dark. 

I can verify that where we live has been graded as one of the top 10 safest places to live, along with having 10 paid uniformed police to keep watch each night over the village. 

NO MORE OF THIS WHATEVER WE WANT TO CALL IT, day for us. If I had a young child I would be so edgy that I possibly would need medication. IT is just that bad. I can only imagine what other areas are like, ESPECIALLY THE PETS lost, homeless or possibly abandoned.  SICKENING!